Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking to order Dynamat for the floor of my car and just had a thought today...should I order enough to do the roof as well? I am in need of replacing the roof thing (forget what it's called but mine is thrashed) so when I get to that I thought it might be worth throwing some Dynamat up there. Anyone ever done this before?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't know about the dynamat but it seems it would be costly for the roof...The shop that did my headliner put in some material that stops condensation from forming on the inner roof...........

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I used Fatmat but it's the same idea as Dynamat. I covered the entire roof under the headliner as well as the entire floor, inside the doors, inside the quarter window area and the firewall. It not only makes it quieter but seems to help the A/C operate more efficiently.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
May not be as big of an issue on a cougar, but in my truck the extra heat makes the roof buckle and get wavy when it sits in the sun. The sheet metal on a Cougar is considerably stronger than what is on my truck though. If it were me, I would just put a thermal pad above the headliner, but that is just me personally. Sounds like Jeff has not had any issues.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
May not be as big of an issue on a cougar, but in my truck the extra heat makes the roof buckle and get wavy when it sits in the sun. The sheet metal on a Cougar is considerably stronger than what is on my truck though. If it were me, I would just put a thermal pad above the headliner, but that is just me personally. Sounds like Jeff has not had any issues.
Are you saying that with the sound deadener on the roof, it makes the roof buckle in the sun?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Unfortunatly I am. I took the headliner back out after I noticed it and tried to remove as much as I could. I have one spot that I pulled a little too hard and it made a dent in the roof that wont go away. This wouldnt have been an issue if it was a 4 door truck, since they have structural ribs stamped in them. Not sure wht the extented cab trucks didnt, it is still 5 feet of flat roof. The good thing is it sits high enough that you cant see it unless you look at it from the second story, like I do every day when I look out my dining room window.

Like I said though, this is on a late model ford truck, and the metal is not near as thick and strong.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
we used the 3/8 thick bubble pac w/ foil on each side---just clears the bows---i was worried about the weight of the dynamat in an ovet head application--if the bubble pac comes loose , you'll never see it laying on top of the headliner---stuffed all the scraps in the sail panels too
doctordesoto

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
I used 3M trim adhesive in addition to the self stick that is on the insulation to eliminate the potential for the Fatmat to fall down. It's been on my roof for about 2 years now with no problems. Mine is a sunroof car so the insulation isn't one huge piece.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Kinda like Jeff - I used the 3m spray and the stuff I used was foil on one side and a cotton batting type material which really made for a smooth looking finnish because the ribs went into it just a bit. It also reduced road noise quite a bit, and wasn't as heavy or costly as dynamat. Got it from JC Whitney I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts