Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as usual what i plan to do and what i end up *having* to do are completely different...ok...last week one day on the drive home my fuel guage dies. ehh..no biggie for now. i know about how far i can go on a tank and fill up. then a few days later waterpump craps out. put new one in this weekend. took it for a test drive to the QT for a beverage. left it running while i went in. came back out to find the oil pressure AND temp guage both died. they were working fine before. the amp meter, speedo and tach are still fine. checked all the fuses under the dash. all good. does it sound like another problem somewhere else? or just coincidence that they are dieing off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you may need to check out the main instrument connector. I had that same problem after I put my heater core in and had the instruments out of it. My problem was that I just didn't have it hooked up all of the way. Now if for some reason it stops running and the gauges stop working you definatly have a connector or instrument panel problem.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Eectrically speaking it sounds like you may have a bad ground somewhere. You may want to pull the cluster and look gfor burnt circuit run, but that shaould have blown the fuse. If I'm not mistaken the speedo is mechanical and should not be an issue.

Don:cool:

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Guages

The CVR on backside of cluster may be culprit aside from that be sure that the ground strap on 67/8/9 cats from rear head on pass side to firewall is attached or guages will not work properly. Could be connector but I bet CVR (constant voltage regulator) Catz ya Ray:)

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Corrosion cound also be the culprit... I work on F/A-18 Hornets for the NAVY and you would not believe the problems I see with wiring and corrosion.... Especailally where low voltage signals are concerned. Pull the cluster and see what you got...

Don:cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts