Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting a new headliner in the '69 this weekend. Interior is nugget gold so i bought a parchement headliner which is the closest color. I want to dye it nugget gold before putting it in but right now it's pretty wrinkled. Once it's in i'll work the wrinkles out and could dye it then but of course that means i'm basically trying to paint inside the car. Just wondering if anyone has done this and how did it work for you.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Never tried it prior to install. IDK - worst case you have to touch it up a bit? I wouldn't think it would hurt it - just a guess. Lets see who chimes in that has.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I haven't either, but I would wonder if any vinyl dye, which is basically a coating, would properly adhere as it's stretched into place. My worst fear would be that it would crack and/or flake off.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I dyed my '68's headliner Lt. Ivy Gold while in the car nearly 20 years ago. I had just had it installed and I didn't have the interior or the front or rear glass in yet. I taped the opening for the front and rear glass with newspaper, threw a plastic drop cloth over the car and climbed inside to paint it. I also wore the best respirator I could find. I spayed it with vinyl dye, but unfortunately I sprayed it on a hot, humid day in Texas and it ended up leaving a striped pattern. It seems like the far edges of the spray pattern dried at a faster rate and seemed to turn to a matte finish, whereas the center of the spray pattern looked normal.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I decided to just install it first. Not sure if I'll have enough dye left. I'm down to about 3/4 of a can. The back glass is back in however. I could go without dyeing it right away since the parchment looks good with the nugget gold interior anyhow. Would be good to dye the thing now since most of the interior is out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts