Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My XR7 (New name: The Iridium Mercury Project or IMP) is being sprayed Mercedes Iridium Silver...I figured why not make the seats go along for the ride. The dye color is, I believe from the 1960's and it's called Mercedes Salsa Red. I love it. Can't wait for the others to be done.

Before:
photo 1.jpg
After:
photo 2.jpg
Comparison:
photo 3.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Nice !

·
Registered
164 Posts
That looks great!
What did you do and use for the prep before spraying the dye??
I have to do some parts in my ride soon...
Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That looks great!
What did you do and use for the prep before spraying the dye??
I have to do some parts in my ride soon...
Thanks
They had to be cleaned really well then put the leather prep, a base coat of the dye was applied by foam brush then spray 3 coats of dye. The stuff I bought is from www.leathermagic.com they are in Monroe NC so not too far from me. But the quality of their dye is awesome as you can see!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Those look really good! I wonder if they have a padded dash color change kit?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well according to what I've been told...red is a transparent color. The more you put on the darker it gets. To achieve the red that we have on all of my parts it was 1 hand painted coat using a foam brush followed by 3 coats using an airbrush. 4 coats total not including the prep. All the other colors, again from what I've been told can cover any other starting color. Red is the only color where all of your parts have to have the same starting color or the shade will be different. I've seen seats go from black to cognac brown which was pretty amazing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Well according to what I've been told...red is a transparent color. The more you put on the darker it gets. To achieve the red that we have on all of my parts it was 1 hand painted coat using a foam brush followed by 3 coats using an airbrush. 4 coats total not including the prep. All the other colors, again from what I've been told can cover any other starting color. Red is the only color where all of your parts have to have the same starting color or the shade will be different. I've seen seats go from black to cognac brown which was pretty amazing.

kool. thanks. i love the darker red colors. post pics when you get them installed!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts