Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So who is running the duraspark distributor and the MSD 6AL control box? Got any tips for me on wiring and setting up? I am trying to decide between adding pertronix to a point distrbutor or using a duraspark. Were you able to get more advance than stock from the duraspark? By what method?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I'm using the Duraspark distributor with a MSD 6(non-AL) in my '89 Crown Vic. I'd imagine that the wiring would be the same... I can't get to the car right now since it is encased in a 8" thick snow/ice cocoon out in the driveway - I tried! :1poke:.

I *think* :uhoh: that the Purple and green wires from the MSD get hooked up to the green and purple wires (Yeah, backwards!!!) from the Duraspark harness (I kept the connector plug intact and cut off the wires from my old Duraspark module) Red power wire ifrom the MSD goes to the starter solenoid. Orange and black wires from MSD box go to coil. I plugged my aftermarket tach into the tach-outlet connector of the MSD box. White wire is not used, and I can't remember what it was for...

*Remember, I'm over 50, and I haven't opened the hood of that car since early September... :toung:

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks Milo and I understand and live that over 50 stuff. Like, I thought I was in the performance section when I posted this.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wallah! It let me move it I think.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
It's real easy - MSD makes a short harness that connects the Duraspark to the MSD, then it's just power, feed, ground and coil as I recall.
If you're using a factory tach you will need a tach adapter - search the forums for discussions on which one you need and how to make it work.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
...I *think* :uhoh: that the Purple and green wires from the MSD get hooked up to the green and purple wires (Yeah, backwards!!!) from the Duraspark harness (I kept the connector plug intact and cut off the wires from my old Duraspark module)...
The wires are not both the same, think the green is and it is opposite as you have suggested. The other (on the Duraspark) is a black with orange tracer as I recall.

I cut off the big clunky Duraspark connector of the distributor and put on the MSD connector, nice and neat. As for advance, I rebuilt the unit and kept the lower advance setting (there are two slots) but put in a curve kit. Forget the wisdom exactly but you don't want the more advance setting. It was something like 8 and 14, I used 8. Someone here should have the skinny on this.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
What is a "curve kit" for the duraspark? I want one! My 67 and 8 both are duraspark distributors......

·
5,470 Posts
What is a "curve kit" for the duraspark? I want one! My 67 and 8 both are duraspark distributors......
Many of the DIY books (how to rebuild your SBF, etc) will have sections on how to disassemble the distributor. There will be a limit plate that serves to limit the amount of advance (8, 10, 14, etc) The slots will have a number indicating the advance. Also, the springs have different tensions and will determine the rate of advance, ie stiff springs will allow a slower advance rate ans the total advance will come at higher RPMs, whereas lighter springs will allow total advance at lower RPMs.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I've seen the light weight springs before, but never a "kit". I've heard of guys trying to fabricate a new plate, and it seems like a lot of trouble to me. Would you say that is the biggest advantage to an aftermarket distributor, like an MSD or similar?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Reactions: Cougrrcj

·
5,470 Posts
Bob,

Thanks for that link for how-to-re-curve the distributor!!! Rep points for that one!!!! :wave:

That linky should help a lot of people -- although for a 351W, one should order a 351W dist, not one for a 460 (or 351C/351M/400/429) as noted in 'step 4'! :1poke: :evil:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Just out of curiosity...I have an electronic distributor that was intended for a later 70's montego with a big block, same gear as a 351C so it works. It was made to go with a duraspark, but I have just my MSD6AL plugged in. Is it necessary to have both at the same time?

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
No, the MSD box is used instead of the Duraspark control box.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
The wires are not both the same, think the green is and it is opposite as you have suggested. The other (on the Duraspark) is a black with orange tracer as I recall.

I cut off the big clunky Duraspark connector of the distributor and put on the MSD connector, nice and neat.
Regards,

Bob
Yep, me too!
Now my Duraspark plugs right in the MSD factory connector

·
Registered
320 Posts
just out of curiosity, what are the benefits to running the MDS?

To be able to have more control over ignition timing?

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Hotter spark and what MSD stands for - Multi-Spark-Discharge, Capacitive Discharge to be exact.

·
5,470 Posts
Hotter spark, and the multiple sparks under 3000rpm (MSD = Multiple Spark Discharge).

Makes for clean burn, no fouled plugs at lower RPMs and easier starts. The MSD does take quite a bit of juice, though...

·
5,470 Posts
MSD-6A uses 1amp for every 1000rpm, the newer Digital MSD-6A uses less.

·
Registered
320 Posts
up to 7a doesn't seem to extreme, my TDI will pull 50a for 3 minutes after startup for an afterglow option on the glowplugs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts