Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone on here tried the Dupli-Color Paint Shop paint for their project and if so what do you think and how did it turn out?

Any comments on this paint from pro body guys would be appreciated.

Here's their link http://www.paintshopcustomcolor.com/public/

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
That stuff is absolute crap. It's spray paint in a quart can, honestly. It is water-thin, won't stay glossy, takes more than 5 coats to cover, and sprays really splotchy. I picked up a truck from a guy who spent all kinds of time and money painting the truck to sell, but ended up having to almost give it to me because the finish was so bad; and he was a former resto shop owner, not a novice. I repainted the whole thing within a week. Save your money and buy some real car paint with hardeners from a real auto paint store.

If you're looking for a glossy solid color paint job, pick up some Omni single stage acrylic enamel. It's cheap, sprays easily, covers quickly, and buffs out super nice. If you want a metallic or pearl color, there is no real quality easy way out other than a real-deal base-clear system.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Wholly agree with the above. It's a laquer style product and just not durable, not user friendly and despite what it is marketed as, NOT car paint!

Run. Run far, run fast.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank for the advise as I have never seen the stuff before except for on the web site and a guy I know has a box of cans in silver he was gonna give me for $30. I was wondering if it was worth it for a quick spray on a beater 81' Camaro. If it is that bad I won't bother. I probably won't bother with getting the Camaro either as I can't be bothered to make space for it.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
WELL - if it's for a Camaro --- go ahead! ;>) I didn't know that stuff was laquer based, which explains the runny/no gloss finnish. laquer requires a ton of work to make it shine....not worth the trouble! And, speaking from experience it's a gooey mess when you try to remove it because the PO shot it over enamel which caused it to spider-web!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1 - 6 of 6 Posts