Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I would like to put duel exhaust on my car ('69 XR-7 W/ stock 351w no headers and fmx). The muffler shop couldn't tell me which mufflers to buy as far as "offset in center out" "center in offset out" you get the idea. I'm sure someone here knows the best fit for the car.

I am leaning towards getting the Dynomax VT mufflers anyone have any input on how they sound and perform? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My 69 has glass packs currently, but I will be going to another set of magnaflow after the motor is built, and I have some extra cash. There are TONS of audio clips on you tube of various makes and models of exhaust. I like glass packs, and magnaflow myself.
To answer the original question, center inlet offset outlet makes it easier for them to route the pipe all the way out the back..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think factory mufflers are offset in center out. factory hangers bolted to the rear (out) side of the muffler around the tailpipe like a upside down Y. Mike

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Yes, offset inlet will allow clearance for the driveshaft while a center outlet allows for best versatility on tailpipe routing

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2 votes offset in center out.
1 vote center in offset out.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Offset in / center out is correct for 71-3.

The pricy (over $100ea) VT mufflers seem gimmicky to me, and besides, I don't want to hear them rattle/buzz with the exhaust pulses... or what's gonna happen when that trap door breaks off!!!

FWIW, I like the 2-1/2" DynoMax Super Turbos that I have on my '89 Crown Vic behind the 393W. After the muffs, it is necked down to 2-1/4 tails. ET/MPH is the same 'uncorked' and through the mufflers. Also, when my car's catalysts ate themselves, all of the chunks/debris/pieces were blown completely out the tailpipes! Nothing was left in the mufflers. Those two things tell me that those are some pretty free-flowing mufflers!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts