Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend trying to sell me his Flowmasters with less than
500 miles on them. The problem is, the mufflers are center in/center out. Most dual setups for Cougars I have seen in books had center in/offset out (if I remember right). Has anybody had center/center work for them on their Cougar? Any info is appreciated...

Thanks

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the ones ive seen are offset in and center out... im not sure if the center center ones will work.. but hey.. if they are free thats fine.. well.. free or real cheap. heres a pic of mine from the underside of the car.. old pics but still almost the same setup now. .... unless you modify the pipes themselve youll run into trouble.. but any competant exhaust shop should be able to do it.. oh yeah.. keep this in mind.. NEW Flowmasters are only like $60 each.........

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sixt9coug....I stand corrected...
After reading your reply and looking in my MU catalog, I
see that it should be offset in/center out. He would sell them to
me for $75 for the pair. Another problem is they are 3" and I plan
on running 2.5" pipe, but I would think they have a flange or adapter of some sort for that. I may just have to run up and talk
to our local exhaust guy. I've seen his work and looks to be good at fabrication..

Thanks again

Andy

·
Registered
240 Posts
i'm pretty sure yo ucan do center in center out, cause i think mine are like that, i'll check next time i go out. but i'mm sure mine are. mine aren't all the way back, they're to the back axle

·
Registered
448 Posts
Duals

For around $75 you can buy two of the correct offset/center 2.5" Dyno Max Super turbo's with lifetime warranties.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Any idea what mine are [72 one]

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have Offset in, Offset out on my 69, running Hooker Areo Chambers (really really impressed with them). Also, they are 3'', and I have 2.5'' piping. The muffler shop should have some sort of reducer for the muffler. The shop I had my work done at installed them no charge for me. So in other words, 3'' mufflers can be adapted to 2.5'' pipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts