Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so now that I have my 302 back together and running, my next focus will be to replace the old rusted aftermarket exhaust. Does anybody know where I can find a dual exhaust kit? I want to use flowmasters and 2 1/2 did pipes. Does anybody make a kit? I have not had a lot of luck in finding one that says it is specifically for a '68 cougar.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
2-1/2" pipes are overkill for a 302 under 6500rpm. 2" or even 2-1/4" would be a better choice. Now if you're running long-tube headers on a street/strip motor, I'd go with 2-1/4...

Why Flowmasters? Which Flowmasters? They make lots of different models. Then you have that 'tinny' sound... Many other mufflers will out-flow Flowmasters!

The whole gist is that we need more info in order to make an informed decision!

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Most muffler shops can create an exhaust for you to meet your needs. If you are looking at maximum performance, find one that bends mandrel, that is the bends are pulled and not crimped smaller in the bend areas and have better flow. The cost might be a bit more that shelf stuff ( yes you can find premade 2.5 for your car) but getting the exhaust mounted and fit up with no problems at a shop is worth a bit more. There are some shops that specialize in high performance systems. Best bet is to find some local street rodders or a hot rod club and bounce it off them. Most all of that stuff has to be custom made!

PS I respect Milo's opinion but I love the sound of flowmaster 40s. Muffler sound preference is to the ear like beauty is to the eye.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Yeah I forgot. Long tubes. Header back with 40's. My engine is not super hi-po but peppy. I have not bought headers yet.
I had that on my 289. sound was great. With my 408 stroker it is even better sounding!

·
Registered
223 Posts
2-1/2" pipes are overkill for a 302 under 6500rpm. 2" or even 2-1/4" would be a better choice. Now if you're running long-tube headers on a street/strip motor, I'd go with 2-1/4...

Why Flowmasters? Which Flowmasters? They make lots of different models. Then you have that 'tinny' sound... Many other mufflers will out-flow Flowmasters!

The whole gist is that we need more info in order to make an informed decision!
Either you like the Flowmaster sound or you don't. I tend to like the sound of most of their Laminar flow mufflers. Some of their newer stuff sounds like everything else. If I can't stand the sound I could care less if it flows better. Oh AndyM as far as I know no kits are made to fit early Cougars. Not enough demand I would guess.

Bill

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got some generic pieces from flowmaster and made my system. I got the curvy pipes that go over the axle, and the H pipe. Got a U pipe, and a week of cutting and welding later, I had an exhaust. The stuff was 2 1/2" all the way back, right through the thrush welded mufflers. Which, in my somewhat humble opinion sound as good as any flowmaster, at 1/2 the price. The whole thing was a bit on the big side for a lo-po 289 with a cam, but it sounded awesome :)

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Most muffler shops can create an exhaust for you to meet your needs. If you are looking at maximum performance, find one that bends mandrel, that is the bends are pulled and not crimped smaller in the bend areas and have better flow. The cost might be a bit more that shelf stuff ( yes you can find premade 2.5 for your car) but getting the exhaust mounted and fit up with no problems at a shop is worth a bit more. There are some shops that specialize in high performance systems. Best bet is to find some local street rodders or a hot rod club and bounce it off them. Most all of that stuff has to be custom made!

PS I respect Milo's opinion but I love the sound of flowmaster 40s. Muffler sound preference is to the ear like beauty is to the eye.
Ditto what he said. The BEST WAY to guarantee that the system is going to fit is to have it bent on the car. AND, I like Flowmasters too. Had 'em on the Hero since 1994.... same pair.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
My .02c is that you will be at least as well off finding a local guy to make some for you, rather than ordering in a kit. I can get duals done at a couple of places for around 400.00, with glass packs. Take a drive around town and see what's what...

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
We have spot-on factory looking complete systems for $400 that will blow away any local shops quality. We can do it in 2", 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" and can substitute a flow master equivalent for very little increase in price. BTW, we are still looking for a 100% original 67 390 system, 69 and 70 BOSS system and maybe a couple others to duplicate. Whoever supplies us with such gets a free kit.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We have spot-on factory looking complete systems for $400 that will blow away any local shops quality. We can do it in 2", 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" and can substitute a flow master equivalent for very little increase in price. BTW, we are still looking for a 100% original 67 390 system, 69 and 70 BOSS system and maybe a couple others to duplicate. Whoever supplies us with such gets a free kit.
Don, How do they fit-up with headers?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
My J code engine has a bit more mods then yours does and I used 2 1/4" pipes 4 months ago. Local shop that does many, many period cars did the work. I personally hate Flowmaster as they kind of remind me of Jose Cuervo marketing their tequila. Top seller of what really isn't tequila at all. I put Hooker Maxflows on my car.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I bought a kit like this from Mustangs Unlimited. The fit was excellent and I look the look of the turndowns over straight pipes out the back.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=CEK2+01&Category=Exhaust&subCategory=Dual+Exhaust+Kits&CatKey=Cougar

I also prefer a turn-down over straight out the back. Although a prefer a shallower 30* turndown, cut parallel to the ground with a perpendicular finishing cut at the back and the rearmost edge of the pipe extending about 1/2" past the bottom of the rear valence.

AndyM,
Just about all header manufacturers will terminate the collectors in a different location, so again, your best solution is to go to a custom shop or make them yourself.

When I replaced the original factory exhaust on my '89 Crown Vic using headers - yeah, I know... who in their right mind puts headers on a Crown Vic... Well, I never said I was 'normal' or in my right mind! LOL!! Anyway, I had the local shop bend me up oversize intermediate pipes and tailpipes (stock was only 2") for $250 to mate up with the mufflers I provided. This particular shop prefers to have the customer provide the mufflers so there are no complaints about the sound level (too loud, too soft, too tinny, etc) afterwards.

Make pipes yourself? Yeah, with straight pipe, a couple of mandrel bent elbows, a chop saw and MIG welder, you can make magic! Although I kinda miss the 'old days' of a real auto parts store - we'd look in the back of the exhaust catalog (before computers ruined everything for everybody) for 'commercial application' pipes for trucks, busses and motorhomes that'd work - like 2-1/4" or 2-1/2" S-bend pipes with a 4" offset...

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Made my own from pieces (cut apart a Heartthrob header back kit and welded the pieces back together once fit), 2 1/4" 409 Stainless.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts