Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any company offer a dual exhaust system to fit a 69 vert w a 351w 2bbl? It seems they are out there for stangs, but I have yet to see anything for cats. Are verts and hardtop pieces different? I currently have a single exhaust in need of replacement and my muffler shop will not build a balance pipe system. Will a hdtp h pipe work? Lots of questions as always. Thanks, Baddad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not sure of a company that has them in stock and i doubt the htdp ones wil fit, but your exhaust shop wont build one??? lazy *******s.. i mean its not THAT hard to do.. you just cant use as large piping right? why not buy a Mustang H pipe and have them fab it up like that? just a though. or find a new exhaust shop.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Dual Exhaust

Mustangs Unlimited has dual exhaust for 69 351W 319.95 for the kit everything you need comes with the kit. Check them out online.70 XR7 ragtop

·
Registered
246 Posts
I just had a shop run mine. I think the one in Mustangs Unlimited is stock duals. feh.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Exhaust

If your shop won't do a simple dual exhaust with a crossover then you need to find a new shop. I had a complete 2.5" dual with crossover and Dynomax Super Turbos done last spring for less than $350 on my 69 XR7 Convertible. They even ran the pipes up under the convertible reinforcement panel like they came from the factory.
Any reasonably competent muffler shop should be to do something similar. I don't believe there is any difference between 2V and 4V stock exhaust manifolds, so from the manifolds back you should only need the 4V dual convertible setup. I am not sure whether the hardtop setup also has to run up over the vert panel but I believe they should be the same. Call around to some more muffler shops, someone should be very willing to do the setup for you, because it is pretty simple compared to todays exhaust systems.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Paul and steve are right if they wont do it take it to a competant shop it is a simple basic job for any muffler shop to do they just dont want the work gues they are made of money.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul: How do the dynomax system sound? Those are the mufflers I'm considering. I don't want loud just a nice "60s" rumble without interior resonance. I do have to agree with all of you, the muffler shop in my town can be difficult at times. When he said a balance pipe does no good whatsoever, I knew then he didn't want to mess with it. Guess I'll have to look elsewhere and check out M/U also. Bob

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mufflers

I absolutely love the Dyno max super turbo's. At idle you can barely tell that I have a worked over 351 with 2.5" duals. At cruising speeds between 2300 and 3300 (I have a 3.70 trak-lok rear) it has a nice low rumble, but does not have the drone that the old system had. As you know, in a convertible, too much cruising noise starts to suck after about a half an hour. But if you open the throttle up from a dead start, or stomp on it on the highway, the sound is fantastic. Not so loud that you sound like a bad 70's cherry bomb, but a nice performance growl that my 11 year old son just loves. Not to mention a lifetime warranty!!
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm with Paul, I love the sound of my Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. Sound muscular at idle and incredible during WOT. And, as Paul mentioned, you can actually hold a conversation at highway speeds! Can't beat the lifetime warranty, either. And, at around $30/piece, can't beat the price either.

I also like the sound of the flowmaster 50 series mufflers, but they are a little loud for me when it comes to cruising and produce a serious drone at highway speed. All depends on your taste. Try to find some local cars with various mufflers installed and see what you like best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts