Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I ordered the master chasis kit from AMK one of the packages says drum retainers. They look kinda like star or wave washers. I will guess they are intalled on the stud after the drums so that when you pull the wheel the drum stays on car? Never heard of them before and never saw one before either. Never had a drum that wanted to fall off when i pulled a tire either. would these have been factory?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Yes they were installed at the factory to keep the rear drums from falling off while going down the line. I have actually seen them on a couple cars I've owned.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I have never seen a car that was untouched from the factory :) Cept my current pick up and with 107 thousand miles on still haven't checked the rear brakes! It is a 97 with the 7.3 diesel. don't even wear out the back tires but sure goes through the front ones!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
My 97 F-250 still has the factory shoes on the rear, with 225,000 miles on it. I pulled the drums shortly after I bought it and those same retainer washers were still on it with around 160,000 miles, so I know they haven't been replaced. I wouldn't even bother checking your rears until 200k, lol.

How do you not wear out rear tires on that truck? Mine wear out in no time flat, twice as fast as the front. Do I really drive that hard?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is a 4x4 heavy crew cab. with the weight of that diesel all the weight is on the front axle. I am lucky to get 30 thousand on a set for the front. rears last I have only put tires on the rears once. I am running ten ply?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Mine is 4x4 extended cab long bed with the diesel, so pretty much the same truck. I have not gotten more than 35,000 out of a set of tires yet, and that's with good rotation schedule. My last set were BFG All-Terrain T/A KO's, and everyone I have talked to says that they have gotten 70,000 or more out of them, I think I got 33. I run the 10 plies as well. I think I am getting robbed.

·
Registered
389 Posts
The retainers are common on most makes for the assy line. Nothing new at all:)

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Mike - LOL You need to slow that rig down around those corners dude! 10 plys should easily net you 50K or so..? I don't think they make soft compound ones but maybe they do and that's what you got? See if it has A/B/C rating for softness. 33 sucks for sure..?

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
I had to do the rear brakes on my '97 F-250HD at 90k - only because one of the rear drums had cracked. Been trough three sets of front brakes, though.

Tires on ours - well, the last set lasted 50k so I guess I can't complain too loudly. I took off the factory tires at 7k because they were a highway tread and got no traction in snow. Replaced with General Grabber All-terrains in 275/70-16 but those only lasted 18k. Back to 235/85s now. All were Load Range E 10-ply rated. Even the snow tires I use (Cooper WeatherMaster ST2s) are LR-E.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
These.

Yes they were installed at the factory to keep the rear drums from falling off while going down the line. I have actually seen them on a couple cars I've owned.
The retainers are common on most makes for the assy line. Nothing new at all:)
I'm not sure about untouched, but I think some people replace them because they were there, never fully understanding what they are for !

Maybe someone could tell us if something which appears so trivial could be a judging issue at a concourse show ?

Guess I have never seen a car that was untouched from the factory :) Cept my current pick up and with 107 thousand miles on still haven't checked the rear brakes! It is a 97 with the 7.3 diesel. don't even wear out the back tires but sure goes through the front ones!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't rotate the tires on the truck any more. That way the back ones last a long time. Front still only get about 30,000 on them. Has to do with the balance of the truck. With the extended wheel base all your weight is on that front axle. Unless you are consistently loading the truck heavy. I,ll go ahead and install the drum retainers since I have them. No one will ever know unless you pull the tire off. Never heard of them doing that at a car show.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Maybe someone could tell us if something which appears so trivial could be a judging issue at a concourse show ?
You only judge what you can see at a concours event. Unless you choose to remove a tire and have it displayed along side the car, the retainers would not be visible and as such, not judged.

·
I thought I changed this?
1,213 Posts
Cool, kinda figured it would be like that, but doesn't hurt to ask. :smoke:

Thanks, I'll sleep better tonite now I know !!

You only judge what you can see at a concours event. Unless you choose to remove a tire and have it displayed along side the car, the retainers would not be visible and as such, not judged.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I ordered the master chasis kit from AMK one of the packages says drum retainers. They look kinda like star or wave washers. I will guess they are intalled on the stud after the drums so that when you pull the wheel the drum stays on car? Never heard of them before and never saw one before either. Never had a drum that wanted to fall off when i pulled a tire either. would these have been factory?
They're called Tinnerman nuts.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Tinnerman nuts! Ok Learned something new. Cool and thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jeff is right on the money, but I say "use 'em if you got 'em!".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts