Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what was more economical/easier, putting some dropped coils on the front, or performing the Shelby Mod? I want to do this because 1. I am pretty tall and sit really high in the car, thus making it kind of hard to see any thing out of the rear view mirror, and 2. sittin' low on all fours looks bad ass.
:D

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Well, the shelby mod only cost the drill bit, but the coils have to come out anyways.
Here's a link for a template and alignment specs.
http://www.themustangshop.com/ go to the How To's,

I did the shelby mod to the Fairlane (and Cougar long ago, but never driven), and cut one complete coil as well, the coil was way to low, bottomed out big time. Try the shelby mod first, it lowers the front end about 1 1/2" or so, then if its not low enuff, get the dropped coils and try them. If you decide to cut a coil off, try 1/4" at a time until the proper ride height.

Rick

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link and the info Rick
I think I'll try the Shelby Mod first , if I ever get some time, that the inch and a half should take care of the leveling issue pretty well.
Cody

·
Registered
370 Posts
A buddy of mine offered to cut about a coil and a-half of the front springs. I have had a lot of experience with rice burners and such, and when I was a teenager it was very economicle to just cut the springs to lower the car. Now, this nearly always messed up the camber and drivability of the car. Will this work on my cougar. If not, how about heating the springs? I would do it correctly and buy the proper kits, but I am an impatient college kid with not that much money. Any advice?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Dont heat them, not good for the spring. Cutting 1 1/2 coils is alot. Do 1/4 coil at a time until the height you want. You can always cut more, cant add any. Have to check for brake lines, header room, etc. and make sure there is no interference anywhere.

Rick

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
The main reason for doing the Shelby mod was that it changes the front roll center of the car by changing the angles of the upper control arms. The lowering was a secondary benifit. Cutting the coils like Dark says is fine just as long as you remember that it also increases the rate of the spring as its shortened. mm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts