Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My drop top pump seems to have a very slow drip to it. I've had to fill it a couple of times. I want to get that resolved. Overall the top works fine and the cylinders don't appear to be leaking.

Can the pump be rebuilt/resealed or do I need to replace it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The lines going to the , are they leaking by chance or is definately the pump? The convertable top pumps are virually the same pump since back in the fifties. The shop I work at we fixed a 57 chevy with from a seabring convertable? If it's the lines then you can buy new ones from a top supply warehouse, the ends are crimped on and we never had good luck trying to redo them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like it's coming from the case. There is wetness at the bottom of the pump where the wires come out and the wires are damp. It looks like there's a drip at the bottom of the hose T-fitting but that could be only because it's at the lowest point of the whole setup. If the T-fitting was leaking, the wires would be dry. That suggests to me there is a minor leak inside the pump housing.

Is there a rebuild kit or do I just toss it and replace. And if replacing, picking up on your observation about the Sebring, can I just replace it with one out of a later model Ford or other make convertible?

Thoughts?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
There is a seal kit that is pretty cheap. I think I got mine from Don at WCCC.
I have not rebuilt it yet because other projects have to come first.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The one out of the 57 chevy(which was original) was made by the same company that makes them for the sebrings. There's a sticker on them showing the company name which I can't recall right off the top of my head and if remembering right there was resistor installed from the newer stlye pump do to the difference in voltage from the newer style pump. Otherwise it's the same pump. So, I guess the decission is yours wether to rebuild or get one from a late model wrecked car at your local salvage yard.We have a salvage yard here that both Pat and I are there enough over the years that we could pick one up for probably $20-30 range if they have one so I personally wouldn't rebuild for that reason alone.If any other questions I'll try to help and if I don't have the answers Pat has 30+ yrs experience doing installs of tops.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I've got some time off next week so will take that opportunity to browse around and see what I can find!

·
Registered
708 Posts
You might as well order the lines right now. They are unbelievably brittle. I took extra care trying to replace one of the top lift cylinders on my '85 Mustang and still ended up breaking one. That put the whole effort on hold until the new lines came in on the UPS truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts