Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the hinges (68 XR7) prone to the same malaise as our notorious leaf springs?

Both of my doors sag when open and the drivers door catches on the sill plate.

Is the only solution new hinges? Anyone had any experience replacing them? If so where'dja get them?

Ken

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got the droopy doors too. Not to be confused with 'droopy drawers' which a lot of folks around here seem to suffer from. Anyways..

I was looking through the Cougar catalogue from Mustangs Unlimited - therein you can find hinge rebuild kits. If you haven't already, get one of those catalogues from there. It's good reference for starters.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
kvinmn, the rebuild kits are fine as long as the hinges have not been to the point where the bushings are compleatly gone and the pins themselves have worn the holes where the bushings fit oblonged. If you try to put the new brass bushings in the worn holes they will break right away.

I have taken worn holes and welded them up on the stamped steel hinges and redrilled them. mm

·
Registered
206 Posts
:1zhelp:

I rebuilt the hinge on the driver's side of my '67. If I could do it over again I would have forked out the extra money to just buy a whole new hinge.

I had a hard time pressing out the old pins. It works, but looks pretty mangled. Had to drill the bottom out and hammer a steel dowel through the hole to get the pin out. Took forever and got me in the swearing "mood" if you know what I mean.

The paint on my walls peeled from the cursing. But I assume no one here has done that...:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i did that too before. just the pins and bushings though. ( whats involved in a rebuild? ) just ground the head off the pin and it came out with a screwdriver and hammer. after that i pulled the door off from there. damn wiring harness with the deluxe interior was a pain to feed out though. the thing that made me cuss was putting the door back on and finding that after all these years the new pins and bushings changed the alignement of the doors. got the passengers one right, but the drivers side one is still too low and in. :angryfi: then i chipped the ends of the door and fender putting the doors on. i was pissed to say the least. that resulted in me repainting the entire car with stripes and all. im happy now i guess but damn, that night sucked......:angryfi:

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I would definitely go with new hindges or old new ones with no play. If the hole in the cast hinge is worn, you can't fix it by putting a rebuild lit in it. I just ordered a set from John Skinner and it cost me a whole $40. This way, I won't have to worry about it for a long time. Just my 2 cents

Steve

1 - 6 of 6 Posts