Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I have come back to the Cougar fold after a few years in Mustang Ville, I have just picked up a 1972 Q code standard coupe that has a drivetrain vibration when the RPM Starts coming up. Standing outside the motor does not seem to vibrating itself to death but at 70MPH or standing still in park it is very noticible, Motor appears to be stock no headers it does have flowmaster dual exhaust, But without a cross over or X. Could this be a Harmonics issue with the exhaust or are there other darker issues. Thanks Jim

·
Registered
168 Posts
Check for play in the u joints! I had a similer problem and come to find out it was a tail shaft bushing in the transmission and I bet thats your case as well!

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you can feel the vib. in park or neutral, you have a harmonic balancer problem or something in the flywheel area loose or miss matched.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Sounds like a balancer unless somebody has swapped flexplate out with incorrect one...?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I went through this recently with my car - search on vibration puzzle for the thread. In my case, the vibration showed up in neutral when revving the engine between about 1500 rpm and 2500 rpm. It also vibrated when driving in the same rpm range between 45 and 65 mph or so. The fact that the vibration occurred in neutral eliminated any causes other than the engine or transmission. In my case, the torque converter ended up being the issue - it was replaced and the problem went away. People I talked to said that if it was the harmonic balancer, the vibration would more likely be at all rpms vs only one rpm range. Engine mounts or trans mount could also be the problem as mentioned. These are pretty easy to check which I did first. After that, with my car when I revved the engine with my hand on the valve cover and felt no vibration between 1500 and 2500, but someone in the drivers seat could feel the vibration, that led me to the transmission and after checking the tail shaft bushing, the torque converter was the prime suspect. Good luck!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've got a vibration as well. She starts fine, but when accelerating or just revving the motor there is a noticable vibration present. Once at speed, even 60-65 it is much less noticeable. I need to check out a few things. I have a 390 and close ratio 4 speed. Would it be similar issues as you wrote above?

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
i have same problem ..... where is transmission mount located ... i thought it was just some bolts holding that thing up there could a loose transmission mount cause that and where is it thanks i like to start with simple things first

·
Registered
726 Posts
I had the same problem ... so during my resto project, used the shotgun approach; replaced:
motor mounts - old ones were badly cracked
flex plate
tq convertor
All vibration in neutral has disappeared in all RPM ranges.
Haven't had a chance to take it on the road yet so not sure about driving vibration.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
It's the rubber sandwich that is holding the tailshaft up ...... just use a jack to hold it up while you drop it out. I'd swap it out just for giggles anyway if it's truley old.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's the rubber sandwich that is holding the tailshaft up ...... just use a jack to hold it up while you drop it out. I'd swap it out just for giggles anyway if it's truley old.
sorry dont laugh at me but if i am under the car is the rubber sandwich (tranny mount) between the floor of the car and the tailshaft of the transmission? any pics only reason i am asking ever since i changed out my flexplate(broke a tooth) and had to drop tranny to do i have been feeling the vibration , i am wondering may'be he put the mount back loose or something

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello Badcat69 andJeffJ you both hit the nail on the head, The trans cross memeber looked new and the trans insulator and trans had been painted so it threw me off, I was thinking the worst, So I took it to a local garage the guy is a drag racer big time trans guy, stopped by to check it out and it was the insulator in the trans cross member. Painted pretty but was the original it was riding on the steel only. Not bad $75 for the work and diagnosis, and $6:50 for the part. Thanks Guys for the pointers. Jim

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hello Badcat69 andJeffJ you both hit the nail on the head, The trans cross memeber looked new and the trans insulator and trans had been painted so it threw me off, I was thinking the worst, So I took it to a local garage the guy is a drag racer big time trans guy, stopped by to check it out and it was the insulator in the trans cross member. Painted pretty but was the original it was riding on the steel only. Not bad $75 for the work and diagnosis, and $6:50 for the part. Thanks Guys for the pointers. Jim
sorry but is the tran cross member the same as the transmission mount

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Vinny - the cross member is the steel piece that the mount rides on (bolts to frame) an the mount bolts to both the trans and cross member

1 - 15 of 15 Posts