Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up Cougar fiends!!! I'm trying to get my drive shaft to slide back into the rear of the transmission while gently rotating it, but the yoke stops at the teeth. I swapped out transmissions, so I was wondering if C4's have different yoke spline counts...

I'm almost home!!!!!

·
Registered
565 Posts
Mine

is 28 spline. My drive line guy told me they were all 28 spline. Don't know if this is true but thought I would share for what its worth. Should be easy enough to count and rule out a mismatching spline count.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

Thats right I counted 28 in the drive shaft, so I'll get under there again today and count the ones on the output shaft, they shouldn't be different but people do things to cars lol

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
still stuck

I tried everything i could without damaging the yoke but it wont slide on..theres the same number of splines...28, should i take the output shaft out the other tranny and swap it in? is the output shaft hard to get out and switch?

i noticed a small ridged area right before the splines on the inside of the yoke...is that normal?

·
Registered
292 Posts
splines

Check to make sure that one of the splines in not flattened on the ridge,if so you will need to match exactly to the shaft, takes 3D thinking sometimes. Good Luck!:confused:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts