Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is our mercury driveshaft that same length as the mustang one? I know the wheel base is different, but I'm not sure about the shaft. I'm guessing our's is longer but I want to make sure.

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
889 Posts
tranny size too

I think the transmission size can also dictate the size of the shaft.Some of the tails are shorter or longer.Ihad a 78 bronco with a lift kit.I chewed the spline up all the time.I went to a drive shaft shop.no fuss no muss prices were good also.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I need to know is, is the the mustang driveshaft (behind a 302 and C4) the same length as the cougar's driveshaft (behind a 302 and C4). Are they different or the same. If someone was really cool they would know the two different lengths.

Thanks
Austin

·
Registered
889 Posts
come on

Boy I hope sixt9 aka steve gets on line soon

·
11,000 Posts
Mustang driveshafts are always shorter

The Mustang driveshafts are considerably shorter for any given year. Why do you need to know? If you need a driveshaft for your Cougar, get a Cougar driveshaft from one of the many vendors who sell Cougar parts.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Royce,

Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm asking is that I'm planning on swapping to an AOD and know that the AOD is longer than my C4. So instead of having my shaft shortened (insert joke here), I thought it would be cool to go ahead and pick up an aluminum one for a mustang if it was short enough. I will start calling around and doing some research on how much length I will lose w/ the AOD and how long the mustang shafts are and compare.

Austin

·
11,000 Posts
If that's the case......

Get the dimensions that you need by using a tape measure. Whoever is offering aluminum driveshafts for Mustwangs would likely be happy to sell you one for the appropriate length.

Royce Peterson

·
Registered
433 Posts
dablack said:
Royce,

Thanks for the info. The reason why I'm asking is that I'm planning on swapping to an AOD and know that the AOD is longer than my C4. So instead of having my shaft shortened (insert joke here), I thought it would be cool to go ahead and pick up an aluminum one for a mustang if it was short enough. I will start calling around and doing some research on how much length I will lose w/ the AOD and how long the mustang shafts are and compare.

Austin
I am also swapping in an AOD. In my case its in a 68 with a c4. From everything I have found, only the yoke needs to be changed as the C4 yoke is longer, but the driveshaft itself needs no modification. I have even heard of cutting the yoke, but I plan on getting a new one. I found a good article and will post a link as soon as I dig it up again. AOD's come in 2 tailshaft lengths. Most cars, including the fox bodies use the shorter tailshaft which is the same length as the c4, at least in the 67-68. There is a longer version for the crown vics, lincolns, and other full size cars. Mine came out of an 86 Thunderbird. The AOD has a wider pan and I've heard of problems with exhaust clearance, espically with long tube headers, so mods may be necessary there. There is a guy in here who has performed this swap on FMX equipped cars and has been very helpful. He said his headers worked too, but I believe is car was a 351C.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
AOD length

I haven't seen any difference in AOD length. I swapped out the original AOD in my 89 Grand Marquis for one out of a coworker's race 'stang. No problems other than changing over the shifter lever quadrant. Same length.

At one time Ford Motorsport had a driveshaft kit. One end of the shaft was already welded up, and all you had to do was determine what length you needed, cut it on a lathe, and weld it on the other end. Of course, it will still need to be balanced so you still have to use a driveshaft shop at about $20 for the balance job. The driveshaft tube along with both ends (not the slip yoke) ran about $100. Of course, you can talk to your local shaft place and have one made up there as well. They are surprisingly cheap!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts