Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Hello every one. This is my first post as I joined today. Let me apologize if the following info has already been posted. I did not find it.
I needed to replace my mirror on the drivers side and all I could find on the internet for instructions said I had to remove the door panel. I did not want to do this because I thought my 68 material might be fragile.
What I ended up doing was to tie and tape some nylon string to the adjustment knob on my old mirror and pull the string out through the door while I removed the old mirror. Once the string made it out the door I cut the string off the old mirror and tied it to the new mirror knob and as I fed the new mirror I pulled the string on the inside of the door to bring the controller through the door and reinstalled the finish nut on the door panel. It was a little tedious lining up the threaded controller mech and I had to use needle nose pliers to align it. If doing this grab only the flat side of the controller to avoid damaging the threads.

·
Registered
6 Posts
First Hello every one. This is my first post as I joined today. Let me apologize if the following info has already been posted. I did not find it.
I needed to replace my mirror on the drivers side and all I could find on the internet for instructions said I had to remove the door panel. I did not want to do this because I thought my 68 material might be fragile.
What I ended up doing was to tie and tape some nylon string to the adjustment knob on my old mirror and pull the string out through the door while I removed the old mirror. Once the string made it out the door I cut the string off the old mirror and tied it to the new mirror knob and as I fed the new mirror I pulled the string on the inside of the door to bring the controller through the door and reinstalled the finish nut on the door panel. It was a little tedious lining up the threaded controller mech and I had to use needle nose pliers to align it. If doing this grab only the flat side of the controller to avoid damaging the threads.

I did the same thing, (sort of) when replacing old mirror with new. Works like a champ. Great job!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts