Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP!!!!! I have a 68 xr7.I put a new outside door handle on EXACTLY the way the old one was.I closed the door and now it won't open.I've tried everything.I took the inside panel off the best I could(with the door closed)All the mechanisms look like they are working.Any suggestions?Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
i have the same problem with my 69 XR7....when u press the button there is a rod that pulls up on the latch...its threaded try to bring it up. if that dont work then i have no clue....

Hope this helps

Matt

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Rick-
I don't know what you have and haven't tried as far as getting the door open but I just went out to mine to see if I could help. Of course it helps that my door panel is completely off at the moment, but if you can reach in and feel where the rod from the door handle connects to the the door gear? and pull up it should open. Not being funny, but I did this the first time but then it wouldn't work the second time. The problem? I had pushed the lock down with my forearm! As far as what the problem is in the first place I'm afrraid I can't help either. Maybe the latch isn't completely attached or maybe there is a tension adjustment? Anybody else able to help a new member? Welcome to the forum Rick. It's a great site with a lot of knowledgable 'cougar folk'!
Chuck

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
this has happened to me before, in my case it was the little rubber/plastic grommet that goes on the end of the button on the inside of the handle. in my case that was on backwards. took it apart changed it around and it was all ok afterwards. the threaded rod is another possibility. sometimes the handle wont pull up on the rod far enoguh and you can adjust the rod enough to compensate. umm, what else, sometimes the door can be misaligned enough to affect it. and worn hinge pins can do that too.... check all of them out and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Thanks everyone....even you OC(just kidding)...I'll give everything a try and let you know how I made out.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
OC..... "unlock the door" LOL thank's I needed that:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Door won't open

The repro door handle kits come with a plastic clip which connects the push button to the rod thats trips the lock. These clips don't hold very well and come unclipped. When ever I use a repro handle I use the original metal clip. I have been locked out of a car a few times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got it

Thanks for all the help.Ragcat's suggestion worked.I don't know what I did but I was able to get my hand on the mechinism and jiggled it around and it opened.I cleaned everything and oiled it and now it works great...so far.....And only about three cuts!!! Not bad!!!..........Thanks again....Rick

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Rick
Glad I could help. With all the knowledge around here, on most subjects I'm learning from everyone here. Welcome again to a great cat site!
Chuck
'ragcat'

1 - 10 of 10 Posts