Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my 69 XR7 has two door jam buttons on the drivers side. It doesn't have a tilt away steering, or if it does, it doesnt work. What would the other button be for?

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
My 67 conv. had two also. it was for the tilt away.
If you look at the steering column under the dash you will find a actuator and a release thing, push it towards the firewall and the wheel will go up and to the right.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Chris, my 69 XR7 has the 2 buttons with no tilt column. I am guessing that one of the previous owners had problems with the tilt safety features and decided to swap it for a non-tilt one. I also have the vacuum canister under the battery tray and line running up to the column. Maybe you will be luckier than I and still have the tilt column in, but just not hooked up properly or something is broken. I am in the "process" of rebuilding a tilt column I got off of Ebay to put back in mine.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I have the canister near the batterey too! I don't know if it is a tilt wheel though. No levers to make it tilt, did the ones that moved with the vaccum have levers? Because my canister near the battery has a bad leak, doesn't hold any vacuum in. So if the coloum doesn't have to have a lever to move with the vacuum, that is most likely the reason.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
180 Posts
The column that I got doesn't have a lever either, but there is a cable that comes out of the column under the dash. If I pull on this hard enough the wheel tilts.
To check your column for regular tilting push the turn signal lever towards the dash and the wheel should go up towards the roof or down if you pull the wheel down. This is another function of the tilt/swing-away column.

Is the canister itself leaking or just the hose to it? I don't know how much vacuum you need to get the wheel to swing, but you could hook up a vacuum pump to it to see if it will swing-away.
Make sure that you have the car off and the driver's door open.

Too really help troubleshoot the columns there is a whole manual to use. By the way you should block that line off if it is making the canister leak. Vacuum leaks cause the car to idle bad, etc.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOW! Thanks Catter! I do have a tilt wheel. I pushed the lever and the wheel did move up! Tomorrow I will fix the leak and see what happens!

Thanks!

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts