Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still having a blast working on my 67:D :D Since I am going to keep the 2V carb, I want to connect the air cleaner and snorkel the way they are supposed to be. Since the stud on the exhaust manifold that holds the snorkel is broken off I am planning to drill it out and tapping new threads. As anyone done this? Are there any special considerations for drilling or tapping into cast iron? Thanks for the :1zhelp: !!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
You should be able to drill into the stud and use a "damaged screw removal tool" to get it out.<-----Not sure what it is called. If that doesn't work over-drilling and retapping is an option but you have to be VERY careful. The studs are solid and difficult to drill regardless of what you do. Just my 2 cents.:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
SEARS!!!!!!!!! get an easy out for screw removal. if you want to fix any threads theres always a Heli-coil. ive never used the Heli-coil, but the easy out did work on a brake rotor that was held on by an allen screw whose head was stripped.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Handy tip!

Heat exhaust manifold with a torch before attempting to loosen any bolts/studs. Usually, this makes the job much easier with less likelyhood of breaking something off in the first place. If you're trying to remove the exhaust pipe from the exhaust manifold, heat the nut first so it will break the rust loose.

If you've already broken the thing off, again apply heat with a torch before attempting to remove broken bolt/stud with easyout or broken stud remover.

Another free tip!

Before assembling new bolt or stud, apply a little anti-sieze compound to the threads.

Yet another free tip!

Also, use stainless nuts if you can, so the next time you won't have a rusted-together mess to deal with!

I don't know what I'd do without my 'Blue-tip Wrench'!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts