Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I take the cat to a body shop or some other place to deal with this problem I thought I would throw it out to the local experts. The passenger door on my cougar will now not open. The lock switch goes up and down as per normal using either a key from the outside or by operating it manually with your hand. However, neither the outside door button or the inside door latch when operated will open the door. Where do I start to try and fix the problem?
Thanks for any input.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
start ny taking off the door panel. There is a rod that clips into the outside or inside door handles. One or both of them must of fallen off, or the door lock rod isnt unlocking all the way.

Rick

·
Contributing Member
1,881 Posts
1967xr7 Don't Panic,
There are a couple of things to try. BEFORE you try a slim jim
Get a can of spray penatrating oil . Use the little straw that comes with the oil to help direct the spray. Spray ALL parts of the locking assy, including the latch. The spray will help clean all the old gummy lube. Then try the key. Keep trying to lock and unlock. That might be enough to free it up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It can be a chore to get the door panel off with the door closed, but it can be done. You need to get the panel off so you can see what's going on inside. You can see if a rod has come loose, or if the latch mechanism is sticking. Either one is a fairly easy fix once you get the door open. Give us a shout if you need help once you get to it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I will start with the easiest suggestion and try to lube the mechanism as best I can with WD-40. If this doesn't work I don't look forward to taking the door panel off while the door is closed. However, today it is snowing in Calgary so I will leave the cougar alone until it warms up again.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
if it comes to removing the door panel, use a stiff putty knife to remove the panel, NOT a screw driver.

Good luck. Sunny and warm in BC ;)

rick

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Weather turned a little nicer here so I got at the door problem. Rolled the window all the down, took some WD-40 and sprayed inside the door at the lock mechanism as best I could. Let the car sit for about and hour and then tried the door. It now opens. It would appear that the lock mechanism was not actually releasing all the way. I am glad I did not have to go the next step and take the door panel off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts