Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help Now what do I do drivers door won't open!! Lacth seems to be stuck. Short of prying it open I think I've done everything. Any suggestions would be help full. Thanks. 67std.:1zhelp:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
umm, if you can, get it open and pull the door panel off. pull on some of the rods in there and see if they just arent pulling up high enough to release the latch. if they arent pulling up enough, try turning the rod on there. the one that pulls on the rod is threded, so you can screw it in a bit to adjust it. try that and see how it goes.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Re: Door Won't Open!!!

This has happened to me on a 68.
I took the door panel off and found a small spring had broken in the latch mechanism. Could also be the plastic connector from the opening rod to the latch. If so, look in the HELP section at Auto Zone...

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
yes, by all means use all the Mustang parts you neeed for the Cougar :D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still can't get the flipen door to open. Gurrr. Now my flipen radiator blew out.
Went to flush it started back flushing (ping)
one stream (ping ping ) three leaks (ping ping ping) four leaks.
Took it down to have it fixed he did the best that he could (bummer) told me he would biuld me one for $250.00. Not the investment I was ready to do so I guess the exhasut system will have to wait for a couple of months. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
C_S_99 - Radiator.com will send you a brand new radiator for $250: http://www.radiator.com/engine.cfm?caryear=1968&carmake=MERCURY&carmodel=COUGAR&lookupid=936188&transmission=Automatic&carmake=MERCURY&carmodel=COUGAR&caryear=1968&lookupid=93618.
I bought mine from them and have been very happy - next day FREE shipping (seriously). Had it on my doorstep in less than 24 hours!
If that's too pricey I have the radiator from my 69 351W (A/T, no A/C - 20" wide) that should work in your 68.
Worked fine, no leaks, no overheating when I took it out to put in my BB.
Send me an email at [email protected] if you're interested.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the radiator tip, but I have gotten one today. Price was alot less. New 3 core for $ 150.00. Thats a steal. Good to know people.
Still having trouble opening the flipen door. I hate to have to rip the door panel off but thats what its coming down to. Well tomarrow I am going to take it the body shop and see if they can get it open. It's a drag climing out the pasg door.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
I know it sounds lke allot bt if you remove the seat it really helps out with more room to work and lest chance of messing things up just a tip.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I may be stating the obviuos, but have you tried a "slim-jim" yet?
And I don't mean the eating kind! :D
They aren't just for unlocking doors you know.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There's TWO kinds?

damn, that must be why one is tasty and one is crunchy as all hell and fairly tasteless... I bet my dentist will be happy that I know the difference now.

No, which one is it that you're SUPPOSED to eat?

Robert

1 - 13 of 13 Posts