Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i am with stupid so i don't know & can't find my door warning light relay on my 70 vert xr7. the light has a mind of it's own and i aways get nervous seeing a red light on my dash.

can anyone have a picture or location other than by parking brake. i just can't find it by myself.

help

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Jene,

Yeah, Stu usually isn't much help :buck:

Okay, door ajar has no relay, just the contacts that are attached to the door latches. If your light is going on intermittently when the doors are shut the first thing would be to disconnect the wire to the switch in each door (at the same time) and see if you still have the same problem. If yes, you have a intermittent short in the associated wire or wires. Disconnect the door ajar wire(s) at the vent panels and check again. If the problem is still there it is in the dash harness.

If the problem stops when you disconnect the door contacts, you need to adjust the contacts. Hopefully this is the only problem and not the wiring.

Bob

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What is a good way or product to clean those contacts?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks bob i've been looking for a relay of some sort. i know about the door wire connecting inside door to latch. have wiggled them around to no effect. not sure how to adjust but will look more closely when i realine windows the body shop couldn't ater i'd done it already. as for adjustment of contacts i am not really remembering the lock assembly. i'd clean the contacts with contact cleaner from radio shack or acetone from hardware store.

hey if you say it's there i believe you, as for stu i suggest hes got to take some sort of photography course pictures are way too sharp.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The contact is just the parts that attach to the latches, the other "contact" is the latch itself. Cleaning isn't going to help really as you have contact when you shouldn't (contact means light on). The contact should be insulated when door open, door closed and makes contact when the door is ajar. You kind of need to take one off and attach it to a spare latch and see how it sits in the three positions to see what isn't right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts