Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose anyone have pictures of speakers in thier doors. Factory and/or aftermarket. Thanks ~Josh

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
pictures of the speaker itself or just how it looks in the door? umm the speaker in my 69 is an oddball size. its the AM FM Stereo and its like a 4 x 10 inch speaker. yes they are originals and no, although i am 21 i will not rip them out and put something more high tech in it. blah.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Someone who owned my car before me cut some huge ugly holes in the doors and put some cheap 5 1/4 inch speakers. When I got the car both of them were kicked in. I bought some sony's of the same size but they sick out too far and the window handles hit them. I was thinking about useing them with some stock grills. I was just wondering what other people have done.

·
Registered
240 Posts
yea its pretty difficult to fit speakers in your doors. i was looking to do it, but it would need a huge hole like cougar69 said. i finally figured that i would make myself a box to put where the console was just under the dash area, i haven't finished it but when i do finish it i'll post a pic. but yea your best bet would be to try and find a diff place to put them or something. unless you made youself some thin boxes to put down by your feet

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I've got two ugly square holes in my doors [72] trying to find somethng to put over them that will look like it belongs, they just don't seem to make square speakers these days:)

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
you can buy the speakers and covers in repop at mustangs unlimited. the speakers are for 1969-73 and if you like the 69 70 cover it can be had there as well. 39.95 for two speakers and 39.95 for the cover.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
just food for thought... i bought some speakers from Autokrafters once that said they were for 65 - 73 and guess what? they were the dinky 4 x 6 speakers so obviously they didnt work. yeah. meant for a Stang i guess. or the mono dash speaker, but i have stereo... and i havent found speakers like the factory ones anywhere else. i have original ones and id hate to pop em ya know?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Steve, far as I know the 4x8's are the same as extinct and the 4x6 are the common replacement. mm

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
well im putting the ones from my 94 in my 69 hey saves a couple of bucks and they are in great shape so why not.

·
Registered
15 Posts
4x6 speakers fit fine behind original grills. BTW you can buy very good sounding 4x6 speakers but expect to pay up to $100 a pair for them. I installed a set of Clarions in mine (4x6 in ft. doors and 6x9 in rear shelf) and it sounds great.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you really want to keep the stock type 4x8, they are available new from Classic Car Audio for $40.00 a pair. They also have Mustang, Tbird, Galaxie, some Chebby and Pontiac speakers. http://www.kenharrisonentinc.com/Speakers.htm

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Speakers

I wish, I knew what size my door speakers are. They are the originals and I won't put in aftermarket speakers and cut a bigger hole. They sound terrible now. I listen to my Flowmasters now straight up!
I heard they are not exact size from Autokrafters. I also, heard someone restores these original speakers with the new technology and also the original radios so, don't throw them away!:)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
In wvcat I have 4x6 in the doors with factory grills and they sound good. Out back I have some 4x10 in the factory holes but they are crap. I have been looking for better 4x10 and I may add an amp. I have only found a few replacement 4x10s. Try crutchfield,they have a large assortment online.
John
wvcat

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
I got several sets out of Nissan trucks and the like that are about the right size for doors factory position. The trouble is too big of a magnet interferes with the windows ability to roll all way down so carefully fit each spaeker you do use. I also bought aftermarket repro door speakers and the "just" fit the correct hole and you have to mount them one way or the wires interfere.

·
Registered
180 Posts
John's Cougars in Michigan has the correct speakers for the front doors(4x8) with the shallow mounting depth so the windows don't hit them, and I think they were around $30 a pair.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts