Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new user so if I'm posting a question that has been asked before, humor me. I want to replace the driver's side remote mirror on my 1967 Cougar XR7 and it looks like I'll have to remove the door panel to gain access to the remote arm. Are there any hidden secrets to removing the panel I should know before starting?

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
No hidden secrets, just take off the window crank, handle, armrest, pullstraps etc, and gently pry off the panel, it´s hold in place by several clips along the edge, there is a spacial too to pry it off with, but you can manage with a wide screwdriver, knife etc.
once you´ve got all the clips loose, then lift it up so it clears the lock rod

·
Registered
389 Posts
and be careful if theres any sign of warpage on the door panel, that means it got wet at one time or another and the clips are going to rip through the cardboard backing...its fragile. not sure if your car ever sat for years like mine but it sucks haha

·
Registered
309 Posts
You can change the mirror without removing the panel. Remove the ring nut that holds it to the panel, tie a string around the knob, and then remove the screws holding the mirror to the door and pull it out. Use the string to pull the new one back to the door panel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts