Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it looks like they are three parts, metal, fiberboard and vinyl. How hard are they to fix? Can you put good, but old vinyl on new copy fiber board, with the old metal round parts? What is the valuable part of door panels? I would think the vinyl would be the hard part to replace, but then, I ain't got no good book learnin'

·
Registered
389 Posts
Wccc has the new boards and says the vinyl is transferrable but it's alot of work and patience but if u look out there to see what's avail to those of us nending new panels it's obvious it's worthwhile to redo them saving the vinyl if possible

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
they got the "how to" at the WCCC site. Interesting reading.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You can get similar board at Home Depot, just use your old as a template and a jig saw. you can also get new, thicker felt paper as well. The chrome , or painted trim of the pannel is the hard one to find.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I made the door panels for Don, and I had documented how to do it with photos. Since then, Those pictures are gone. I will take some of a panel that the metal has been restored and replaced. The factory had stamped holes in the sheet metal for alignment and I made sure that these holes would match the new panel to the OEM metal cap at the top of the door.
Once the top sheet metal part of the door is taken off of the old door panel, you will find that the metal had been crimped into the hard board panel. you will have to make all the metal pointed barbs straight again so when you go to pound it back down into the hard board it will lock it's self back into the board. This must be done with a constriction cement that will bond metal to wood. The reason for this is when the factory pressed the metal into the wood, it also flared it out a bit to it wouldn't pull apart.
The kit that Don has comes with nuts and bolts to align the metal and hard board together. You will have to put them together loose so they don't bind or bend the metal, they are only for alignment. You also have to use 2X4"s to back up the panel with also boards on top, to sandwich everything together with clamps. After the clamps have been put on, I used a hammer to help encourage things along as I would tighten things down. I would let it sit over night so that the Construction cement could dry and bond the two together. The metal across the top I found was a bit rusty and full of dings. This is the time, before putting things back together to clean it up and paint it.
The vinyl door skin, can now be glued back on with contact cement and small spring clamps all around to help hold it in place. If it is an XR7, Remember the map pocket at the bottom of the door has a notch in the wood and to align the vinyl with this part of the door. You should be good to go. Again I will try to get a couple pictures up in a couple of day's.
One more thing, You can coat the bottom of the door panel about 10 inches up with Varathane Diamond Wood Finish for out door use, to seal the hard board from dampness, before the vinyl is put back on.

·
Registered
389 Posts
anyway to repair the vinyl when resotring these panels? i have one good panel and one that would be good if it werent for a large section of rotted vinyl in the upper section...if there was some way to get new vinyl on there but that seems impossible/cost prohibitive IMO...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Is there any place that sells the door panel map pockets? I bought some generic ones on ebay but they were way too big. Other than that, I can't find them anywhere.

Ben

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Is there any place that sells the door panel map pockets? I bought some generic ones on ebay but they were way too big. Other than that, I can't find them anywhere.

Ben
There are no reproductions but you could probably pick up a used one from your favorite Cougar used parts vendor.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry, it will be a while before I can show actually redoing a panel. This is the start of the panel restoration. The second picture is of two of the four locating holes that the factory used to line up the panel backer board and the metal top.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Very interesting indeed! I'm thinking my extra panels have more value that previously thought....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts