Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Hey Cats and Kittens!! :D
I was removing all of the insides of my doors on my cat last night (getting ready for painting.... Im so excited!!! :lol:) and the passenger side looked unmolested like the panel had never been off (all screws in place and correct, all retaining clips attached with cushion material still on them!) but the Drivers side was a different story :angryfi: ... The panel looked like it had been RIPPED off by some low tech wanna be mechanic instead of removed with care. ALL the clips were ripped from the panel and stuck in the doors and the clip mounting area on the backing board of the panel is broken out. Also the one corner of the backing board is broken (still there but broke off of the rest of the board). The outside black/vinyl/leather looking covering is still in excellent condition so I'd like to try to repair it if I can. I had thought about fiberglass coating it or something of that nature but I figure before I ruin it with experimentation ( :lol2: ) I'd ask here cause I'm sure someone else has repaired them before....

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
889 Posts
Some of my clips were ripped out of mine as well.I had some 2 inch commercial velcro did the trick for me

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think that will help me because the structural integrity of the edges of the panel are not there. Its sort of flexible in spots instead of rigid (I know you guys have seen what I'm talking about before on older cars). Thanks for the suggestion though..
Scott

·
Registered
885 Posts
Scott,

I've got similar problems on my driver's side door panel, but not as bad. The cardboard backing (or whatever its made of) is bent and no longer lays flat against the door when the clips are in.

I'm not sure of the best way to fix this, but my plan is to first straighten the backing in this area, then resin a piece of fiberglass over it and let it dry in place. A potential downside with this approach is it may not allow the panel to flex in the repaired area. I don't know if this is problematic during re-installation, or not. As an alternative to fiberglass, its possible to get a thin sheet of plastic from a hardware or crafts store, cut as needed and apply the same sort of fix. In this case, the resin needs to be substituted for contact cement, or some other. Unless someone offers a better idea in this thread, I'll do one of the above.

Steve C.

·
Registered
118 Posts
mine were the same way, what i did was to remove the vinal cover off the old panel, keeping the old panel as complete as possible.
went to my local fabric place got me some stiff backing, and using the old panel I used it as a templet to mark my holes, cut the holes, used a little 3-m adheasive applied the vinal back onto the new panel, using short staples restapled the edge, inserted the clips and vola a new panel.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the same problem, Scott. What I did to get it straight was to block up the outside of the panel (face down) with items of similiar height. Then I sprayed the panel with water, slightly dampening it. Next I placed weights in the necessary areas and let the water dry in order to re-warp it straight. When I got it reasonably straight I sprayed it with water one more time, laid it on my flat surface (I have a solid core door I also use for model aircraft), backer material down (upholstery up) with the metal cap overhanging the edge. The entire backer area was laying flat on the door and I laid weights in all non-plush areas. I let this completely dry over a day or so.
For the weak areas I used 2 hour epoxy (no fiber coating, I was afraid of adding thickness to the panel) and slathered it on these areas. The slow curing time allowed the epoxy to soak into the backer, firming it up. The clips on mine were also broken out. Here I inserted wax paper under the rectangular hole and mixed 5 minute epoxy with some saw dust to fill the areas.
Now my panels are straight, firm, and I have holes for my clips but I still may use the industrial strength velcro to attach them.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow those are some great Idea's! I like the one my69ragtop had but i'm afraid to try to remove my vinyl covering...

Anybody else have any???
Scott

·
Registered
885 Posts
Yeah, my69ragtop did alot of work, but the results sound good. My other thought about it is the 3M adhesive probably makes this a one time fix. It may not be possible to take the vinyl off a 2nd time without damage if it ever had to be done again, or re-done.

Steve C.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts