Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. got my new tires and wheels on and car looks GREAT! Decided it is time to fix the lock on the passenger side. If the lock button is pushed down it currently takes a lot of "jiggling" to get it to come back up. The key does nothing but spin in the lock.
Open the door panel and found the lever that is supposed to go to the key assembly on the door is off and just damgling in the door. It is not the easiest place to get to and I have looked through my repair manual fora picture or instuctions on how to re-attach. Looks like the last guy used masking tape, didn't last... Anyone attached this assembly and willing to share how it is supposed to be properly attached? I would love to get it back to working and put the door back together.
Thanks for reading and hope you can help
Charlie
1968 XR7

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
O.K. I took the lock cylinder out of the door and removed the end of the rod that attaches to the lock cylinder. This piece was attached to the lock cylinder with some kind of putty not masking tape, same color and masking tape though. I removed the putty and tried putting the rod end piece on the cylinder and it goes on but there does not seem to be a way to hold it on to the lock cylinder. Hope this helps and clarify a bit the problem I am having... I am not sure if there is something missing from the lock cylinder and this is why they "glued" it on or if there is supposed to be a clip of something to hold it. Any help MUCh appreciated.
Charlie
1968 XR7

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The rods have a plastic end, and a swivel to lock the plastic bullet end from the other side of the plate at the end of the cylinder.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You can find the connectors for the rod ends at a parts store that has a good "HELP" section.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.... took apart other door and found there is "supposed to be" a C-Clip on the end of the lock cylinder to hold the assembly on. Found one in my pile of parts and pieces and it is now working. This door matches the ignition, the drivers door matches the trunk. Weird but works. YEAH!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts