Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, bought a 71 XR7 in the fall and it came with 4 keys. A silver square one (ignition), a gold/silver round one (trunk lock), and two gold square ones. I can only assume that the two square gold ones are for the door locks, however they do not unlock the doors. The are pretty worn so I am assuming that is why they will not work. Am I right? Are these the door keys? If so is there anything I can do to fix my problem? I tried to make a copy and that still did not work. Do I need to change my door locks? Maybe call a locksmith and he can make me a copy? Right now I am going without locking my car and I would like to be able to lock it up.
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just tried out the ignition key in all of the doors, fits in the but doesn't unlock them...

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
You can take the door lock cylinders and the key to a locksmith and have them changed to work with the ignition key. Also have a spare or two made.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked out that fastmerc, seems like a pretty good idea, I think I'm going to go ahead and do that, thanks!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had a similar problem and bought a matching set of ignition and door cylinders and keys. After install, I had the same identical problem. I then figured out that with a simple adjustment to the mechanism rods, all worked fine.

I would try that first. If that doesn't work, a matching set of cylinders and keys are readily available and I suspect cheaper than a locksmith.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have a key that fits the ignition and one that fits the doors and you want 1 key to fit both all you have to do is get a blank key and have the ignition key cut on one side and the door key on the other side. Either lock only uses one side of the key. I have a Taurus SHO I have done this on. It works great, sometime you may have to turn the key over. I just marked mine with a file.

Henry

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you have a key that fits the ignition and one that fits the doors and you want 1 key to fit both all you have to do is get a blank key and have the ignition key cut on one side and the door key on the other side. Either lock only uses one side of the key. I have a Taurus SHO I have done this on. It works great, sometime you may have to turn the key over. I just marked mine with a file.

Henry
A bit off topic, but this works great for a spare key for two cars to carry in your wallet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts