Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to get the (play,slack,or droop)out of the doors.Somebody mentioned shims.some one said,"you have to get new hinges"then I heard,"I think there ther is a way to bend them.And finally the last,loosen the hinges that are on the body then use a bottel jack to raise the door then retighten and pray.Any other door scientists out there?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
You can purchase a bushing and pin kit from any of the Cougar or Mustang vendors. Relatively cheap fix. This is definitely a worn out bushing problem.:)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
it is the bushings. get a hing pin kit for the door. not that hard to fix really. you usually have to remove the door though. there are other ways to repair it, but you need special tools and they arent permanent. They do work well though, but the bushing will only wear further over time. so i suggest that you just get the hinge pin and bushing. youll think its the best money youve spent on your car. ( until you add more power or make it shiny LOL )

·
Registered
364 Posts
TNN had a segment on this...

last year sometime. I can't remember the name of the show, but it looked like a fairly straightforward, simple fix. I need to get around to doing the same thing.

Of course, the doors they repaired on the show didn't have power windows, locks, etc. Has anybody with power windows replaced their pins and bushings? Do the wires present any problem? I'm thinking you'd have to be very careful in supporting the door so the wires don't dislodge.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
replacing hinge pins & bushings with p/w

Really not a problem. I supported the door with a floor jack and block of wood. Mark with magic marker completely around hinge locations on both the door and on the door jamb. If you don't do this, it will be a PITA to get it right again, this assuming you haven't messed with trying to move door hinges to compensate for bad bushings. remove only one hinge ass'y at a time. grind off swage where necessary. drive pin up to remove. Remove old bushings. reassemble in reverse order, being careful to align hinge halves with marks you made before disassembly.

The only problem you may find is that if left go for too long, not only are the bushings shot, but the hinge has been worn away, too, making the bushing hole oversize. Then you have to get serious. Remove entire hinge ass'y. Braze or weld bushing hole shut, then redrill to correct size. Then you can assemble as before.

Good luck

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like a winner Im headed to a swap in Medina OH today(somethingto get out of the house winter sucks ) thanks people I will let you all know how it comes off and out Dan

·
Registered
364 Posts
"oversized" bushings...

I checked CascadeClassics for the parts (haven't checked John's or Ken's yet but will) and the only bushings they have on their OES list are labelled "oversize." Are these for redrilled hinges as Cougarrcj mentions or are they what I need for redoing hinges that are in good shape?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts