Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the doors swapped out. But only got one old door gutted and didn't get started on putting the guts in the new doors. It was pain enough taking one down I can see where putting all the glass and latch workings in the new doors is going to be a challenge. We only gutted one so we can do a look and see. Any tips for re-assembly?

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I had a difficult time removing all the workings and glass from the doors too! As much work as it was removing them I am not looking forward to putting them back together. I am going to be terrified of scratching the new paint.

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a body assembly manual but it is a rather unclear exploded view. Where are these other available? And are they step by step or just more exploded view diagrams? Thanks, kelly

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So anybody got some how to put together tips? Like what goes in first and any other tricks for this?

·
Registered
205 Posts
well i started with the door latch's inside and out got them hooked up, then moved on to the wiring taking care to secure it to the inside of the door. had to make some tie downs as the wiring's hard plastic trough was broken. next moved on to the window guides securing them top and bottom, since they are adjustable all i had to replace were the sealing rubber gromets for the bottom. then i put in the window regulator

i am not sure how far you went but i took all the holders [what ever they are called] from the glass and reconditioned them primed & painted. putting the glass back in can be tricky but no big deal, it's heavy. when that's in the door i attached the guides to the window be careful how you put them in as they are adjustable also. look at pic carefully.then i attached the regulator simple days work for me and the wife.

i would suggest replacing the door hinge pins and bushings to heavy duty ones. oh i also sprayed undercoat in the inside of the door bottoms, some people put soundproofing in the door also

hope this helps

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks Jene. That helps. I only took one door apart so as to have the other to refer to for going back together!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts