Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I am putting in a new stock distributor in my 73 XR-7. 351C 2v. I have the #1 cylinder at the 6 degree BTDC mark on the damper. The Distributor slips in all the way; but the rotor is pointed more toward the #2 cylinder. What I don't get is why does this popular drawing showing firing order of the 351c show #1 on the cap at the 7'o clock position? Shouldn't it be in the 2 o'clock next to the #1 cylinder? What am I missing? It seems if the rotor fires the # 1 cylinder when it points to it, then the cap tower that is nearest to the #1 cylinder should be where the #1 plug wire goes and thus start the firing sequence.

Help, I'm getting dopey.

Ford-50-351-400-V8_Firing-Order.jpg

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found the answer... Install the cap. Mark the bottom of the distributor housing where the drawing indicates the #1 tower. Mark the tower as well. Drop the distributor in with the rotor just ahead of the mark on the base. As it lowers into place the helical gear should rotate the rotor to the mark on the base- adjust a tooth or two if not nailed the first time. Then start firing order at the #1. I mistakenly though the rotor should face the actual cylinder in the head. Sorry its been awhile since I did this.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Most of the time the dis, cap has a # 1 on it, you can start from there just so you don't confuse someone who might be working on the car later. Firing order goes C/C

1 - 3 of 3 Posts