Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about a month now, I have been working (when I have time) on putting an AOD transmission in my 69 XR-7 Convertible. The car is a 351 4V Windsor automatic (FMX) with a factory "H" pipe. I figured (wrongly) that buying conversion components would help this job go much smoother. I took a few recommendations and bought from Windsor-Fox. The 3 items purchased were a crossmember, shifter adapter and a TV cable. The AOD transmission went in just fine and bolted up perfectly. Then their crossmember would not fit, so down comes the whole exhaust system. The trans mount would not align to the crossmember. I finally got it by moving both the mt & member as far backward as possible. Then back up w/ the exhaust, FAT CHANCE!! The crossmember blocks the H pipe! So, I make my own ( see Pic, mine is the bottom one http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1482 ) Then their shifter adapter, WRONG again!! The rod is too long, no way to make it shorter w/ out surgery. So, on the the TV cable, I have yet to figure the exact setting by their lack directions, so waiting for a friend w/ a guage.
I STRONGLY suggest anyone even remotely thinking of doing an AOD, PASS UP WINDSOR - FOX . Their stuff is JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angryfi:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Hey Bill,
I had to make my own crossmember too because the one I got would not clear the hooker/duals setup on wvcat. I used what I think was the original linkage rod and straightened out the bends a little to in effect lengthen it so it would work. The TV cable didn't cause me much problem,I preloaded it so it would be tighter than it needed to be and adjusted it by shift feel, trial and error until I got it the way I wanted it. The thing is that the "feel" of the shifts change with throttle position so it took me some time to get it just right. Even when power shifting the hardness of shifts are proportional.
Good luck
John

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Bill, you should sell some for the Cougar crowd, or do up plans and sell them so we can make are own. What was the cost of the WF one, maybe you could sell yours for close to it if you mass produce them :) Or plans for 1/4 that.

Rick

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Bill.. wanna make me a crossmember? he he. im still planning on the AOD swap and was gonna go the Windsor-Fox route. think ill have trouble with my H pipe? its not a great pic. but its one of the only one that shows the H pipe semi-close

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Bill,

I have built a jig to modify the E4ZZ shift lever to have to correct geometry for use with the stock shifter. I am asking $32 for the lever including shipping. I should have several ready to go within a week. Let me know if you are interested.
I was making the crossmembers but I had run into the same problem as W-F with it not clearing some exhausts. I have designed my crossmember on my 70 XR-7 with which the exhaust was run wide and had no crossover near the crossmember. I do haev a crossover, but they are always positioned about 3 inches behind the front U-joint to allow trans removal without touching the exhaust. I know the closer the crossover is to the motor, the better, but with mild motor and a full exhaust I doubt a few inches back would make a difference. I'd much rather lose 3 horse for the sake of conveiniance. After working in a transmission shop for 6 years, I have found that the exhuast shop is the transmission shop's worst enemy. The exhaust shops very often install systems with no reguard to the possibility that the trans may have to come out one day. Sometimes they just weld every damn thing with the curves set up tight around the trans---may have well just weld the bellhousing and crossmember bolts in place. Oh-well, such is life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts