Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my one and only car key stolen over the weekend. I'm being told that since I don't know my key code, that I have to replace my ignition. Does anyone know where I can find the code, does it tell you somewhere in the car? I've called the ford dealership already but they didn't;t keep the code.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
If the owner's manual packet is still with the car there might be something in there.

If you can, take a door lock to a locksmith and they should be able to cut a new key for you.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would call another Ford dealer and talk with the service manager. They should be able to cut a new key with data from the VIN number. They usually require proof of ownership and will only do it for the registered owner. It's not cheap, but cheaper than replacing the ignition switch.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
10 years is usually the dealer cut off for tracking key codes. Sometimes a glovebox lock is a match as well - A good lock smith will tell you what will work for him if you bring it in

·
Registered
391 Posts
As I vaguely recall, at least on '67s and '68s, the glove box lock at least had the key code stamped on it in very small numbers.

·
Contributing Member
1,886 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The dealer writes it in the owners manual when new. However, if the manual is gone or you are not the orriginal owner then VIN is the only way to order a key. Sinxe this is not a computer chip key a locksmith can code cut using the door lock as already mentioned. Another place to look is where the button is to add a key chain FOB. Explorers and Rangers are behind the pass kick panel or in the rear cargo area. It is the same place as the auto fuel shut off for when you roll the car or do a Tokyo drift corner and get beyond the degree allowed to make the computer thinlk you are rolling over. Been there done that.

Many locl smiths are mobile now. Call a few and see what they charge and if You need proof of ownership like registration or title.

I agree with all of the above. Call ford, dealer repair manager and some locksmiths. This is not new to them. They know what to do

Good luck. And please buy 2 keys

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
this is not a uncommon occurrence, due to the year , your cooked! call a locksmith that has pats key programing capability. its going to be $300+ btw. ford wouldn't have a code for a car they forgot they made at this point. ford keeps, 6-7 years

·
Registered
3 Posts
If the owner's manual packet is still with the car there might be something in there.

If you can, take a door lock to a locksmith and they should be able to cut a new key for you.
Thanks for your suggestions, i will take the door lock to a locksmith and then ask them to cut a new key for the door lock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts