Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, heater box all refinished and reassembled and ready for replacement under dash...One question for you..."The book" references the removal of trapped air in the heater core. It says to take off the incoming hose at the core and to start the engine after refilling the rad until coolant flows out then reconnect:

Do you think that is necesarry? It seems that just starting it up would spin the water pump and the coolant would force the air along and if there were any issues with air in the coolant that you should be able to vent it by just cracking the rad cap...

I guess my skepticism is that I already cleaned up the carpet where the heater core was leaking a bunch of coolant and am not at all enthusiastic about trying to attach a heater hose that is driping coolant all over my nicely refinished heater box/ interior...

Help me out on this one will ya?:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
You can disconnect the heater hoses at the engine and fill the heater core through them if you want. I usally dont worry about it at all. Just recheck the radiator level later. mm

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have another trick you might try. Drill a small hole on the top side of the intake on the heater core where it would be covered by the hose and the hose clamp preferrably. Then once the car is running, slip the hose back so that the hole is exposed and air will be forced out. Once a steady stream of coolant comes out, slam the hose on, tighten the clamp and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it either, just check the level in the radiator after you've had it running a couple of times.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANK YOU FOR YOUR INPUT...I THINK I'LL RUN IT AND CHECK THE FLUID LEVEL...IF NOTHING ELSE I CAN TAKE IT OUT AGAIN...I DON'T THINK I'LL RECONNECT THE CABLES UNTIL I'M SATISFIED THOUGH...JOHN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts