Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil idiot light wasn't working when I turned on the ignition. Grounded out the oil sensor and sure enough it worked. Ordered a new one from WCCC http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/b6az-9278-b-repro.html and was wondering if I needed to apply teflon tape to the threads? As you can see from the picture, it has some sort of, what appears to be sealant, already on the threads. Is that good enough? Also, does the wire attached to the unit just pull off? It's in a tight area so I just don't want to pull it and end up with problems. Is there a clip or something. THANKS

·
Registered
992 Posts
Hmm WCCC site says to verify clip-on style harness before ordering. I don't know if your 67 has a clip-on style harness.

how did you ground out the oil sensor?? did you already pull the wire connector off of your old oil pressure sensor and ground that to complete the circuit and make the light illuminate on the dash? If so compare the connection type to the WCCC sensor.

Kevin

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is definately a clip on and not a slide on (or push on) onto threads. There is enough room to fit a screwdriver between the clip and ground it to the block. Does the clip just pull off or is there a tab or something? It's a tight fit and hard to see and I don't want to pull and ruin the clip.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Got my new sensor and installed it without a problem. No teflon tape or sealer needed. But what a terrible design! My old sensor probably still worked. The end was all rust as was the connector, which is nothing more than what you would see on an audio speaker. There is no rubber covering. I tightened up the connection a little for a tighter fit, but still expect problems with rust or just a bad connection at some later time. Here's a pic of it after I installed the new one.
100_2861.jpg

·
Registered
223 Posts
From the picture the new sender already had thread sealer on it so no need to add any. If it did not IMO something should be used. Pipe thread sealant is cheap and works well.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts