Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is a front chin spolier only for looks or does it serve a functional purpose like directing more ait int the radiator?
Any pictures of 68s with front spoilers?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Awesome ad. I was wondering, was there a reason the front grille was changed back from the piece that went the width of the car in 69 back to the center piece that went down the middle in 67 and 68 then again in the 1970 model? Was it not well received in 69 so they went back to the way it was?

Ben

·
Registered
913 Posts
Ford and Mercury were always trying to keep things fresh, little changes from year to year to get new buyers, before they did a complete make-over. It all depends on personal likes, I for one an a big fan of the 69.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the purpose of the chin spoiler is to prevent too much air from getting underneath the car at high speed. You don't want your car to lift up and get all squirrely at 100 mph+! :bloated: Not so much about getting more air to the radiator. How effective is it in real life? Couldn't tell ya. Probably more aesthetic than anything.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Yes,

took mine at 147mph (radar verified in '75) and let go of the gas pedal, it was surfing between lanes. No spoiler.

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
A front spoiler was a device to keep air from moving underneath the car and causing lift.
The spoilers that came on Cougars (as well as most new cars) were more for styling and did very little for aerodynamics (IMO).

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, you can study spoilers on actual land speed cars that run in an aero mod class. You'll see serious differences in the designs.

If the stock spoiler held any air mass at all, it would get ripped off the car because of the material and fasteners.

The Cammer 70 Mustang has a reinforced carbon fiber chin spoiler to withstand the air mass it encounters at speed.
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_1005_1970_ford_trans_cammer_mustang/index.html

Note the 69 Mach 1 mule that Mickey Thompson drove at Bonneville has no chin spoiler.
http://image.hotrod.com/f/16936276+w750+st0/hrdp_0812_08_z+mach_1_mustangs+stats.jpg (too big for the forum)
The whole article:
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/hrdp_0812_e85_ford_mach_1_mustang_salt_trials/index.html

I think that the front and rear wings were just geegaws to add options on the check sheet and make the cars look racy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
It definitely does work. Had mine over 130mph when it was still new; absolutely NO squirm or floating on the hwy. Steering was nearly as tight as at 80. What a rush!! Lucky no cops either!!

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
check out the boss 302 modification manual if you want to see how to modify the inlet to get maximum airflow through the radiator

As others have pointed out, the chin spoiler is intended to divert air from under the car and minimise lift.

If you look at many modern cars they have a small vertical tab hanging down just behind the front pan and before the engine. This is to stop lift and was added after wind-tunnel or track tuning identified front end lift

It is so simple that you can eliminate front end lift on a VW beetle with a piece of metal 18" long and 4" wide, hanging vertically or on a 15 degree angle from the lower torsion bar

On a Cougar you can reduce lift and increase airflow to the radiator by lowering the front pan about 1.5 inches and adding a 1" vertical tab to the lower edge of the pan. You should add a vertical tab that runs back to lower radiator support on each side in the area near the edges of the radiator. This adds strength and channels air into the radiator (an old touring car trick to reduce lift). some creative panel work is required

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
I know this thread concerns street cars but here are some aero stuff you might see at the race track.

The least amount of air flowing in the engine compartment the better.

Race teams have perfected blocking off airflow into the engine compartment with duct tape. Engine and oil temps are controlled at least partially by overlapping strips of duct tape over the grille opening and oil cooler opening. If temps are a little warm, a strip of tape comes off.
If temps are too cool, another strip goes on. This is something that can be done during fast pit stops without opening the hood.

At racing speeds hoods push up in the middle, hoodpin areas become concave, back windows blow out. I've seen windshields pop out of cars that spin.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
check out the boss 302 modification manual if you want to see how to modify the inlet to get maximum airflow through the radiator

On a Cougar you can reduce lift and increase airflow to the radiator by lowering the front pan about 1.5 inches and adding a 1" vertical tab to the lower edge of the pan. You should add a vertical tab that runs back to lower radiator support on each side in the area near the edges of the radiator. This adds strength and channels air into the radiator (an old touring car trick to reduce lift). some creative panel work is required
Is this mod in the Boss 302 modification manual? I am trying to picture the 1" vertical tab added to the front pan and the vertical tabs running back to the lowere radiator supports. Leon do you have a picture of this mod?

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Jim

It's not in the manual as it is one of those grey areas that gets exploited. Sorry I don't have a pic as we did this a long time ago

The 1: vertical tab is on the lower trailing edge of the pan closest to the rear of the car. You can simulate it by just holding cardboard on the inside edge of the pan

You can see it on the pan of the Monaro below - where they have a small vertical tab in the centre of the pan (had holes drilled in it) and it is made to look like a factory pan

The other tabs are welded on the inside of the pan. Notice the subtle reprofiling of the pan

If you have a look at the centre of the pan on the mustang you can see the additional piece rivetted to the pan that goes back to the radiator. The vertical tabs running back to the radiator support are on either side of that piece

·
Registered
305 Posts
Leon, this is a very interesting mod to a Cougar, Im trying to visualize as I would want to do it in the future. Can you dummy it down some more ,I can see some of the modifications but not all of them..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts