Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just wanted to see where you guys/gals stand on stock and modified cougars......

do you like your cars just as they came from the factory?

do you like hidden mods? like beefed up brakes,motors,trannys but retain the stock look

stock or custom interior?

what mods are too much? such as EFI motor,flame paint jobs,etc

i am not a concours kind feller, i like tasteful mods,,, if the mod flows with the car then it's okay by me, i like adding factory option to my cars... like my mach1 i added spoilers front and rear.sportslats(louvers),shaker hood and scoop,tilt steering,under dash passenger side maplight etc etc......

but if i find something from a newer car in the junk yard, i'm not scared to take it home and try to make it work with my old cars..

example. i have a rear view mirror with the map lights built in,from a late model chevy <----shhhhhh, in my mach1..... you wouldn't notice it at a glance and it really helps at night or on long trips because the factory interior lighting really stinks....

i'm just trying to get a feel for this forum and let you know what kind of people we are..... i am pretty well established on VMF forums (vintage mustang forums) great place.... anyways here a few links with our mustang and cougar..... thanks jace

http://a6.cpimg.com/image/D6/93/13495766-eee0-028001E0-.jpg

http://a8.cpimg.com/image/24/8D/6551588-4159-028001E0-.jpg

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
It's wide open here with a few concourse type folk to people with restomods to drag racers. We pretty much seem to figure to each there own. I myself am planning a bb pro street style car as soon as I find the right car for the project. mm

·
Registered
428 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Not flames paint job - please. But I am all for the hidden stuff and mags, gotta have mags. And a decent steering wheel.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Stang looks cool, re that first pic of the cougar, ......nice wheels.
When did you say you were gonna start painting her:D

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
im not really into flames... i love a good sleeper though. he he he. one in Car Craft this month.. 65 Buick with a GN engine that runs in the 11s. looks stock. i think as long as the car is done in good taste it can have whatever. ill modify a car without a problem, as long as its not too rare ya know?

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Jace
Welcome to a fellow West Virginian!! Where you located?
Also another well fought, uhm.. I mean discussed topic--at least you have the right year in both cars!
Chuck

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
It's Me again-
Somehow missed your original post where you introduced yourself. Can't get more southern WV than Bluefield where I'm at. Welcome to Shelley too!!
Chuck

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I tend to go for original cars. Original color, interior, top and mechanicals. I've got a Pertronix ignition and non-factory exhaust pipes, Repro S/S wheels, a chrome Cobra Snake next to the clock, no smog tube/canister yet, but it's always last on the list. Nothing that can't be changed back.

I'm the guy who will always argue (someone has to hear the 'other' side LOL) to keep it basically stock. Unless the color combo is an AWFUL one-off, they were well coordinated from Mercury. Yeah I even like Lime Frost aka Slime Green! Why does everyone want to have clone Eliminator? Especially if it's a nice XR-7? Messing up a GTE is grounds for an idiot award.

I've seen some tasteful restomods I've really liked. Unless the name is Barris or Boyd stay away from radical customs, they don't add any value to the car. Still.......if that's what they want it's their car!

Just my opinion
Tim B

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
Go for one of each

My 68 is being gradually turned into a trans-am/428 XR7-G look restomod with no body panel changes. It will look stock but suspension will be reset, engine will be injected (8 throttle body set up like webers), 4 wheel disc brakes, recaros recovered to look original, power windows but with autoloc swiches that look like stock handles, etc. This will become my drive car once it is painted and all rubbers are replaced. This is 2004 project

The 69 convert is an in-your-face resto with gold paint, 17 x 8 inch wheels, nissan sports seats, boss scoop, bonnet pins, lowred, etc. Over the next 12 months it will gradually be changed to Nordskog digital dash redone in flow coated aluminium look, 4 wheel discs with big calipers, custom interior panels with BMW speaker set up, custom HVAC controls where idiot light set sits, relocated sequential shifter, column controls. Being built over 2003

THe 70 convert is is being restored because it is rare. Planned for 2005

....but all these cars will be driven as well as shown

If I had more time, money and space I would be building an trans-am replica racer in pro-stock style for the street - ie looks like trans-am in stance and has dual quads etc but is fitted with custom interior, full-cage, hidden wiring, and race seats. This would start its life as show car and then become the fun car.

Sounds like a plan for when I don't have anything to do in 2006 - the Lord willing and if the creeks don't rise

Now for 2007 - a black 68 with flames, 351W, GMC blower, tubbed,

·
Registered
648 Posts
I guess I am more of a 'sleeper' kinda guy. I like the stock look of a car with nice wheels and tires. Not too big on custom paint or flames...'cept for maybe on a 40's or 50's rod.

I do LOVE the idea of performance mods tho. Higher gearing, better suspension, engine mods, etc.

I HATE the 'ricer performance' cars of today. Slap a V-Tec sticker on your Civic and suddenly you're PROUD of your 19.0 1/4 mile :)

I also HATE the 'Tonka Toy' or 'Transformer' look that cars & trucks & SUVs (damn I hate that acronym too!) are getting. Is there an uglier vehicle on the planet than an Aztec? What is up with the Avalanche? Oops...I'm ranting and getting off topic...

The group here is very accepting and is also VERY knowledgable and VERY helpful (when you listen to them - right MM??? :))

Ken

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That's easy to answer, Tim. You get the look and style of an Eliminator and you actually aren't afraid to drive it! I'd love to have a numbers matching eliminator, but given how rare they are, I would be hard pressed to drive it the way I drive my XR7 Elim Clone. At least, that's my reason...

Personally, I believe the really rare cars should be left alone and restored to stock. Anything that is one of thousands is fair game for modifications. It's your car, enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Gulf00 signature says it all:

"---If you don't love it, don't drive it---"
Amen.
As long as it puts smiles on your face, it's right.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here, Here, I totally agree with Jim. Anyone that could take a True Elim or XR-7G and modify those cars should seriously have their head examined seeing as how rare they are. But the other models...Go with what makes you happy.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Resto

I've never done 100% complete stock resto. you just can't find all the parts you need sometimes. But on the Eliminator I'm going to try to make all you can see very original looking,(accept brand new!) I got lucky(I think?) and found a yellow with white upholstry S-code 4spd that had ram air, and a 3:25 loc...
Even tho it's in bad shape I intend to stay Factory, if not totaly stock... An example will be the seats, Jennifer (My wife) wants leather with cloth inserts, not stock but very nice.:bandit: :evil: :xoli: :sun: :pimp: :ylsup:

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Ive got a 85 stang with a 429 in it I would love to redo in a 67-68
if I had the money. I'm a streetrod guy, I love flames, molded hoods with blower sticking out of it, wheel flares, ass-high and nose low stance 2" rubber on front and 12" meat on the back...
BUT, what I lack, Denero!
The Eliminator I just can't cut up! too rare to butcher...:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
"a black 68 with flames"

"I love flames,"

Ahh, you guys are killing me :D
On a 50's streetrod yes, but a cougar!!!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
My 69 XR7 is getting more and more heavily modified...

Next project is replacement of the stock gauge cluster. I'm fabricating a stainless steel replacement plate and populating it with a full spread of AutoMeter Pro-Comp Ultra-lite's.

·
Registered
448 Posts
mod vs stock

To each his own! Personally I love a good sleeper. My cougar looks stock from everywhere except under the hood. Factory SS wheels, original interior, I even have an original ford radio in the dash with factory speaker covers (300 watt amp and tube subwoofer in the trunk).
However, if I came across a GTE, eliminator, or any factory big block car I would be tempted to do a complete concourse resto. I really think the rare ones should be preserved, or at least modified in a way that can be changed back in the future.
Also, there is nothing more fun to see at a show or cruise than an all out pro street "carbs through the hood" monster. Especially if it is a cougar!!
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

1 - 20 of 39 Posts