Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently working with a company that does high quality exhaust systems for Torino's and Mustang's and they now want to develop exhaust systems for 67-73 Cougars. Initially we want to focus on dual exhaust systems but in time we will do all the single exhaust systems as well. These dual exhaust systems will retail for $425 or less depending on application. What I need from you is 100% complete systems that we can duplicate. Tender pipes are OK, we expect that but they do need to be complete minus the H pipe. The reason we do not need the H pipe is that they are identical to Mustang. Our offer is a complete exhaust system for $100 if you will provide your old system delivered to CT. In addition we would want feedback and digital pictures of the completed system once installed on your car. Delivery of your old system to CT and shipping back is your responsibility. You can cut it into chunks with a sawzall if you cut at angles and make it clear how it goes back together. The system does not come with hangers, no part numbers on the mufflers and these are the shorter length 19" oval mufflers as found on the Mustang. As of yet they have found nobody to do the longer 21" Cougar / Torino Mufflers but that could change in time, no promises... Who wants to go first?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Wow, you are finally getting Motive Industries to do these? I tried working with them 5 or so years ago and got no where. They kept having supplier problems. I had a 70 428CJ, 70 Boss 302, 68 390 and a 68 302 systems all lined up and they dropped the ball on it. Customers got tired of waiting. Their systems look nice so lets hope you have better luck.

·
Premium Member
2,303 Posts
I have a dual exhaust on mine and might be interested. One muffler is dented up a bit but I don't think that would be an issue.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can make a 21-inch muffler. I have made custom tooling for several mufflers.

Scott Fuller

www.scottfullerreproductions.com
My assumption would be that this would up the price of our $400-$425 systems significantly. This would be worth the upgrade for some folks if we could do original part numbers stamped on the mufflers. Can you do they with part numbers?

·
Registered
7 Posts
My assumption would be that this would up the price of our $400-$425 systems significantly. This would be worth the upgrade for some folks if we could do original part numbers stamped on the mufflers. Can you do they with part numbers?
Don,

I'm the one that made the 68 XR7-G chrome tips that you sell (picture in your signature).

Yes, I can make an exact copy of the muffler. And yes, the price would go up significantly. I am licensed with Ford and they would get a royality if we stamp them.

Scott

www.scottfullerreproductions.com

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don, How can I tell if I have the original exhaust system. I know the tail pipe has some hole in it, but I think the rest is good. Also, can they wait until fall for the pipes?

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don, How can I tell if I have the original exhaust system. I know the tail pipe has some hole in it, but I think the rest is good. Also, can they wait until fall for the pipes?
Start with the mufflers, do they have original part numbers?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Don mine is complete all but the muffles, I put those on a couple of years ago just to give a little sound. But I know you want the whole thing.

Michael

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, we know what the mufflers look like originally so your system may just be complete enough. Send us a picture of the muffler install.

·
Supporting Vendor
1,014 Posts
Don,

My Boss car still had it's original exhaust if you can convince the new owner to loan it to you.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Don,
I am sorry but my mufflers are not originals and my exhaust system may be a replacement as well. Right now, I don't have a way to lift the car so I can take pictures, but if I compare it to the picture listed in the link below it looks very similar.I do know the pipes before the mufflers are welded to the H pipe and that the mufflers hung using an extra clamp on the tail pipe to make up for the shortness of the mufflers. If you still need pictures then maybe one of the tire shops in the area will let me use the lift to take some pictures if you still need the exhaust system.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-11089400041767_2163_23710946

Sorry,
Paul

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually, we know what the mufflers look like originally so your system may just be complete enough. Send us a picture of the muffler install.
This will be easy Don, My car is on jack stands right now. I can take a video or just a bunch of pictures, your choice?

Michael

·
Registered
175 Posts
When you are looking for a single exhaust, I have a complete, original, intact system including the manifolds and date-coded muffler. It is from my 32,000 mile '68 302-2v. If you want it, you can have it free. You pay shipping.

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1972 351C 4V, 1969 428CJ and 1968 302 4V exhaust have been covered who else needs free exhaust?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts