Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm about to repaint my 70. It's been white for about 13 years and was medium avacado metallic from the factory.
I thought of all the usual colors. comp orange, grabber blue, etc.
But, I wondered if anyone had any interesting ideas for paint colors or schemes. I'm not looking for someone to make my decision, just a big believer in collective intelligence.
thanks,
Kraven:alien:

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
biggest thing is what color interior do you have, does it have a vinyl roof?Interior is the key to a nice exterior color.
thanks
pat

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
interior and ideas

The car came with dark green. I thought of dying it to black since I have acces to facilities to do that. It has white buckets and rear seat with white headliner. The buckets are getting nixed for more modern seats.
I'll be driving the car across country, racing, and other stuff this summer. It'll all be on my website. :D
Color combos I had considered.
Black interior
White with blue offcenter stripe to go down body line.
Comp Orange. My first cougar love color.
Grabber Blue. Nice cool color that doesn't beg arrest me.
Black. body would have to be perfect.
Green. British racing green.

oh, and there's no vinyl top. She used to have one, but I took it off. It wasn't cool enough for me in High School And it was promoting rust on the roof.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Check back in the gallery, there was a post about this awhile back, a couple of the guys did a whole lot of different colour schemes for the 70 model, I will try and find a link to to one of them and then you will find all the others. I am going to be re-painting my 70 when finances allow, at the moment it is black cherry or something to that effect, but its scrathed chipped and has a bit of rust, so it warrants a repaint, so far I have narrowed it down to the deep aquatic blue of the Cherokee, and the new mica pearl red of the Chrysler Neons and the Peugoet 207's, first time I have seen red like that, looks really cool, and expensive, unfortunately.

http://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=998&thumb=1&si=flames

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I was in a similar situation. My car was originally white and I didn't want white. I had it painted grabber blue for about 10 years so I wanted a change. My interior is blue and I didn't want to change it. I ended up picking a custom color. Most paint shops have the chips but its best to have an idea what color you want before you go and buy it and keep in mind the colors always look a little different on the car than they do when your looking at a little chip. I just updated my page with some pics of the new color. http://www.geocities.com/wvxr7cougar/wvcat_01.html I also made a page named colors that I put together when I was trying to decide. http://www.geocities.com/wvxr7cougar/Colors.html
Good Luck
John
wvcat

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I think we all make up a page or file on colours when we are trying to decide on a colour, it would be great if we could put all those pictures somewhere, we would probably have the largest colour data base for cougars around. Guess it would take up to much space tho" :(

·
Registered
588 Posts
I remember seeing a 69 or 70 cougar with a two tone color scheme that used the body line as the break point. Looked a lot better that I thought it would but be careful with the color choices (No yellow over green please :) ). I also saw one with a Starsky and Hutch type strip on it. Brought back many memories but I wasn't so sold on that style on a Cougar. I have a convertible that starts out medium gray on top and is black by the time it hits the side rails that I really like too.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
paint schemes

Thanks for all of the ideas. I really enjoyed looking at all of the cougars here.
Keep them coming though. I'd like to come up with something really unusual or classic looking. No offense to anyone, but I think flames are "so five minutes ago" and don't really want them. The two tone ideas are really intriguing though.
I have been thinking about going back with white and a black stripe combo, but that seems too sanitary for what I want.
Maybe something like white with an off center stripe like a 60/70's lemans car?
I'd kind of like to make her look like a vintage racer since I'm trying to get into the panamerican race with her this fall in mexico.
Anyways, thanks for all the ideas. Keep em coming.
:D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Believe it or not, I'm actually going back to the original Avocado
of my 70 xr7 convert....with a neat semigloss black stripe up the
hood into the scoop, and the scoop semi as well. Throw on some black pins, and a black top, and it should be sharp. Hard to tell what the 'original color' really looks like until it's redone and on the car....but I guess I'm one of the few who actually likes the green/green interior combo. My 69 was as well. My 2cents! -B

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow

Man,
I think you need a medal or something for admitting you like the avacado color. That used to be a dangerous statement to make :)

I actually thought about it myself for a minute or two.
My car came with a vinyl top and the avacado/dark green interior.
I just didn't like it. But back then, I was 15.

Now, I'm thinking maybe British racing green with a lot of the trim powder coated. Maybe paint the bumpers black to bring out the chrome in a more subtle way.
But, I like the big chrome bumpers too.

The race in Mexico is known for lots of flashy paint since the participants are either the numbers matching crowd or the cubic dollars crowd. Both groups I detest.
So, I'm trying to keep her tasteful yet bold.
I keep going back to the idea of the LeMans stripes down the length of the car...

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
final paint decision

I finally decided on the paint.
When I saw the pics of the trans am racer, I freaked out. That's my color scheme. The bud moore cougar paint style.
So, I'm playing pretend with my car since there wasn't a 70 t/a car.
I'm not using the bud moore colors though.
I'm using a body color of 2003 Jaguar racing green met. with a roof color of silver met with some pearlescent thrown in.
I'm making the Mercury Cougar quarter panel decals in Photoshop and looking around for a cougar decal that will work for the rear roof pillar area. I'm even going to number her.
She's pretty much a race car now, except for the road trips like power tour, so why not?

Thanks for all of your suggestions.
:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts