Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys do not intend to harp on but i have installed new shocks and leaf springs on the cougar and this is what i have found. if i am at a full stop and punch the gas i peal rubber and no wheel hop great. now if i try to punch the gas from a roll say 10 to 20mph or higher there goes the wheel hop...now in this situation will traction bars help get rid of my wheel hop ...remember mine is from a roll . i have none from a dead stop. thanks again

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Either ladder bars or Cal-Tracs will stop it. I can get mine sideways at 40 pretty easy, and have never had any wheel hop.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Did you have the wheel hop before you did the work? If yes, You have to find a way to stiffen up the suspension. I have heard of having to go with a coil spring setup, Just what I have heard. Not sure if the tires themselves would have anything to do with it, tire pressure? Just putting ideas out there.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Using a pinion snubber to control the pinion angle during a hard launch is one way of increasing traction and controlling wheel hop. Build or buy an adjustable pinion snubber for mounting above the front snout on your car's rear end. Optimum pinion angle is typically about 4° down. Staggered shocks would really help too along with traction bars. The reason it's happening is the springs tend to "wrap" and once it strarts they begin to undulate back and forth because there is nothing to counter the motion from starting....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts