Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1967 Cougar, 2bbl, and it's a 289. How do I find out if it has a 9-inch rear-end. I have read about a couple stock ones that have it, but I heard it might have been an option. Anyway how could I check, or should I just go and do doughnuts, and see it it blows out?:1zhelp:

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
Not a 9 in a 289 car. Ways to tell are flat top and bottom of housing and carrier. 9 only in 390 cars in 67s

·
Banned
4,754 Posts
There were no K codes in Cougars were there?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yeah, the 289 4V (Hi Perf.) I got that out of the Cougars Unlimited Catalog. As I was looking it up, I looked up my Cougar. It is a 289 4V (Prem. Feul), what does it mean by Prem. Fuel exactly?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Corytrade said:
Yeah, the 289 4V (Hi Perf.) I got that out of the Cougars Unlimited Catalog. As I was looking it up, I looked up my Cougar. It is a 289 4V (Prem. Feul), what does it mean by Prem. Fuel exactly?
That means you have higher compression than standard (usually the 2v...) and thus required premium fuel in the day.

I think that means you have 10.5:1

·
11,000 Posts
No, there were no K code Cougars ever. Mustang Unlimited's catalog lists all the 1967 engine codes for the Mustang.

Nine inch rear axles only came behind 390GT engined Cougars in 1967.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
If you can use a socket to remove the bottom 2 nuts it's not a 9". Nines require a wrench to get to those.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Very interesting site Rick, thanks

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
K code confusion.

Sorry for all the confusion on K code (HI PO 289), I checked two sorces before mentioning both in error. All K code fords however came with 9 inch rear.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts