Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been disappointed by the selection of shift knobs Ford provided for their cars. A car like an XR-7 deserves something fancy, so I got myself one from a Jaguar. I love the walnut and the shape, and I figured, hey, they're both cats, right? My plan was to just find a hat pin or keychain emblem to swap out for Her Majesty's feline face. Unfortunately, the only designs I could find were either the newer-style "head" variety or really cheesy looking XR7 designs. So, I set about making my own. Not quite jeweler quality, but overall, I think it turned out pretty well. Total investment: $24 for the shift knob, a few hours on photoshop and a moderate amount of wasted transparency paper and toner. Once I'm satisfied with the color (I need to get access to a color laser printer) I plan on giving it a coat of polyurethane to add some depth.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Yup! some imagination, + some talent + some work = a worthwhile innovation.

Hats off to you, sir, I like it

Jean

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments, guys. Here's a pic of the end result. The polyurethane adds a cool gold tint to the chrome areas. The only thing I should have had done differently is I should have used a higher quality printer. You can't really tell from a few feet away, but on close inspection the image is not as crisp as I would like.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great idea...looks awesome!

However, I do understand the desire to have a better quality...that pursuit of perfection thing. So....when you do rev 2 for your car....I'll buy the one that doesn't quite live up to what you're really picturing in your mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts