Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
68 cougar 302- I had my distributor out,I'm on TDC and replaced the distributor,
rotor #1 cylinder.
It's been awhile, do I rotate the distributor until the points are just starting
to open on an initial starting? Thanks

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Did you mount the dist so the rotor points towards #1 cylinder on the block, or towards the position of #1 on the distributor cap ?
I would just put on the cap, mark the distributor where the #1 post for the plug cable is, then remove the cap, and mount the distributor so the rotor points to that mark when fully seated, then just put on the cap, cables and start it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you mount the dist so the rotor points towards #1 cylinder on the block, or towards the position of #1 on the distributor cap ?
I would just put on the cap, mark the distributor where the #1 post for the plug cable is, then remove the cap, and mount the distributor so the rotor points to that mark when fully seated, then just put on the cap, cables and start it
I gave up on the low vacuum issues,do you have any idea how far I can advance a mild
street cam? I think it's a com 31-218-2
Stock cam is 6 degrees
I'm at 12 degrees,to go any further I have to pull the distributor and reposition it.
And if it pings under load do I just retard it? How about heavy load?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
10 degrees is typically about where you want to be....I'd double check that your vac adavnce is operating correctly and that you are hooked up to a ported vac source on the carb NOT constant vac! (you can suck on the vac tube going to the dizzy to test if you plug the carb port while doing the test)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts