Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine was not connected and I just got it connected/routed correctly with vacuum lines about 2 weeks ago. I also got my carb adjusted and my leak is now also gone. She is idling like a champ now. I'll keep it connected right where she is.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Thermo vacuum switches are prone to failure. I replaced tons of them back in the day. Normally when they fail they no longer switch from the low temp position to the high temp position though I have seen a few stuck the other way. The most accurate way to test them is to heat them in a 50/50 mix of AF using an accurate thermometer to check the switching temp. Different TVS's are rated at different temps so you need the spec. Many have the temp stamped on the bulb end. I have no idea if replacements are still available and they break easily when removing them so I would most likely leave it be and hope it works. It should be possible to test them in car if you have an accurate way to measure engine temp.

Bill

·
Registered
913 Posts
This valve is used differently on cars with manual trans. that have a dual vacuum advance, the port with manifold vac. goes to the retard side to keep the timing from advancing when cold, and as the engine warm up, switches to carb. ported vacuum so the timing can advance. This is to help keep from over revving the engine when cold.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Take a piece of vacuum hose and slip it on the front port and suck to see if this advances the point plate inside of the dist., if it does, then run a piece of hose from there to the timed vacuum port on your carb, and you should be good to go

·
Registered
913 Posts
It will tell you 2 things, (1.) that the front port is the one you should use,(2) that the diaphragm is good. Because, one port is for advance and the other port is retard, you don't want the retard side.
YOU COULD ALSO REPLACE THE DUAL WITH A SINGLE FROM YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've been watching this thread as I stated in an earlier post that I just got my vacuum lines correctly attached. Interesting in that I have a manual and should have a dual port and only have a SINGLE. Is this easy enough to get from NAPA? I would like to get the correct one if possible. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
It will tell you 2 things, (1.) that the front port is the one you should use,(2) that the diaphragm is good. Because, one port is for advance and the other port is retard, you don't want the retard side.
YOU COULD ALSO REPLACE THE DUAL WITH A SINGLE FROM YOUR LOCAL PARTS STORE!

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's kinda what I was thinking. I will swap it out if it doesn't work. If it works, I will just put a plug cap on it until I do swap it out. Does ford make an HEI like "the other guys" and if so is it as easy to swap out?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Lookup duraspark conversion - it would be a decent low budget upgrade if you want to go theat route.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Lookup duraspark conversion - it would be a decent low budget upgrade if you want to go theat route.
That's what I would recommend and am using in my 67 street rod

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've been watching this thread as I stated in an earlier post that I just got my vacuum lines correctly attached. Interesting in that I have a manual and should have a dual port and only have a SINGLE. Is this easy enough to get from NAPA? I would like to get the correct one if possible. Thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Neither of you really need a dual port, unless you are going the all original route for show!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts