Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to adjust the vacuum advance on the distributor? Since I put the new one on it hesitates on hard launch. I know where the screw is, but not which way I should turn it, or how far. Transgo was able to tell me how many lbs of resistance the FMX module should have, does anyone have that figure for the distributor?

Also, does anyone know of a good rebuild kit for the distributor internals? Besides points, as I have the Pertronix.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Instruction that come with the crane cams adjustable vac advance unit are available on their website. www.cranecams.com

heres what it says, using 3/32 allen wrench turn counter-clockwise 2 turns at a time until part throttle spark knock is eliminated.

by the way, what size primary nozzle squirter are you using(assumunig you're using a holley)? a step up in size may cure your problem if your dist adv curve is all in by 3000 rpm. at the shop i work in the trotal timing varies greatly between distributors of the same part number. regardless of remanufacturer. ive seen as much as 55 deg total and as low as 26 deg total. some of them dont even require using the vacuum adv. there were light enough springs in it for centrifugal adv only.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts