Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title says it all really. I go to check/change the timing on my coug the other day, and oh look, the housing is seized in to the block... I can't get it out, let alone even turn it. I have heard about this happening to other people before, but I never read the thread long enough to find out how to actually fix it, so some help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Squirt some penetrating fluid around the base, then TAP it with a hammer, NOT TO HARD. It will come loose, been there done that. Tap on the side of lip, and on top of lip, all the way around.

I wish you well,

Dale in Indy

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Oh, and it might take days or weeks. Keep the distributor base saturated with PB Blaster, and keep tapping (or smacking - your choice ;) ) the distributor with a rubber mallet. Eventually it will break loose. It might be a few degrees at first, but once the process is started, YOU WILL PREVAIL!

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yepper - they can be a real mamma hamma to get out! It may come down to trying heat with a pencil torch, but I'd give the soaking and tapping/patience the first chance.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Cleveland? The problem may be corrosion at the top where it goes into the block or inside where there may be a lot of crud built up on the lower mounting area.

I agree with the other posters that application of some sort of penetrating oil repeatedly and trying to move the distributor will allow removal after some time. Others also have applied heat to the block surrounding the distributor boss to allow its movement.

There have been other threads in the forums on this subject. Try using SEARCH to find them.

In any case, good luck.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I destroyed a distro getting it unstuck but I have a few extras laying around so I rebuilt one and replaced the offending distro. To prevent it from happening again, I slathered it with metallic anti-sieze.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
You might want to try a nylon strap wrench around the distributor. something like this can be found at K-mart, Sears or maybe even your local parts store.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Take some modeling clay and build a "pool" around the distributor. Fill the reservoir with PB blaster and let it soak. This also works for seized spark plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I resolved the same problem by squirting the distributor base with AeroKroil by Kano Laboratories every day for a week. I then removed the distributor cap and attached a channel locks to the top of the distributor and GENTLY rocked it back and forth a few times. The distributors loosened right up. A strap wrench would work well too. The key is Patience and to use a high quality penetrating oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts