Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys!! At the moment i have a 68 XR7 with drums all around. It is time to do some brake work and well in your opinion what is best.... just have new drums installed or upgrade to discs on the front??? If i did fit discs on the front is it best to use the bone yard Granada path, find a scraped/parted out mustang or God forbid Cougar!! and steal their front brakes or use one of the kits available?? almost $1000!! ARGH!! :D The trouble really is that i've never really just had drums all around so i don't know what kind of stopping power new drums will have??? What are your suggestions, ideas, opinions and just your .02 cents worth?? :D

Thanks

Stu

·
Registered
614 Posts
I gotta tell ya, I think disc brakes are the answer. Those drums are never really any good on the back, let alone all around! Scrounging time, I guess. Try the Granada angle first...there's a lot of them in the junkyards, at least in my neck of the woods. You'll probably get a better price on the parts, too. The junk guys around my way tend to charge by the make/model of car you're taking from - i.e. Same part off a Chevette will cost less than off a Camaro.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Also...

What other cars and from what years can i literally just steal the front brakes from?? Thanks for such a quick reply!! :D Also ballpark figure... what will the bone yard guy ask for them??

Stu

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
the problem with boneyard parts, is 80% of it will need to be replaced before you bolt them on, so pretty much the onlything you can use the spindles if they arent scored or burnt. For the money, kits by brake places are well worth the investment (SS Brake, etc). You get the whole kit (spindles, bearings,seals, calipers, lines, prop valve,etc.) plus there NEW, which means safety. Using junk yard parts is ok, but not for brakes. just my 2 cents worth.

Rick

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I 've got to agree with Rick there, brakes are like tyres, 2nd hand is not such a good idea 9having said that I must admit I have just bought 2nd hand drums for my Fleetline kombi, but I have been assured that they are in good nick, hmm, we will see, I can't wait or afford new ones from Brazil, and after forking out an unholy amount of money on new imported drums for my cougar I am getting very broke], but if you can get the new kit for the Granada it may be cheaper than getting a kit for a cougar, unless you can find a granada that was written off when virtually new.
And the cougar is a heavy car to stop, you need good stopping power. My 0.000002c worth [our currency sucks]

·
Registered
425 Posts
Hey Stu, I did the swap with 75 Maverick spindles,rotors calipers and you will also need the tie rod ends. I did use a sway bar from a Granada. Everything bolts right up. The only new thing I had to buy was the flexible brake lines. I did this swap about 10 years ago, and havent had any problems. The Granada pieces should be the same. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Stu,

A few questions.........

How do you use your car? Is it modified? Do you live in the mountains/hills?
Drum brakes are OK. Disc brakes are definitely better. 4 wheel discs are the best, but are probably overkill since most braking is done 60% on the front. But if you only take it to shows on sunny days it's not that big a deal. Disc brakes have an advantage in rain and fading during repeated stops. Drums work well enough at the end of a 1/4 mile in ideal conditions as many a Hemi and Thunderbolt don't have those fancy discs ;-)

·
Registered
614 Posts
Good points guys. I was assuming that it was just the spindles that Stu was junkyard-hunting for. From what I can see, a good deal of Granadas were bought by old folks, given to grandchildren when they got too old to drive, and died a horrible death after that. Usually the spindles on these things are in decent if not near-mint shape. That's why I suggested them. It's not like Granada spindles are in short supply, or of any value whatsoever (except to us!), so where there's a bad pair, there's probably a really good pair 3 cars up the aisle.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys!! Loads of replies!!

Well to answer a few questions..... It has a standard 351W in it... i do mean to improve the performance in time.... but for now it is fine, it is a daily driver..... there are a few steep hills around but nothing major!! I just want to be safe and sound while driving and enjoying my Cat.... i don't race her. Also i really don't want to be worried about the brakes, so i guess i want peace of mind!! I mean here in Southern California we don't see much rain!! :D I think i will put on front discs..... from where i'm not sure.... new/used a mix of both?? Anymore thoughts??

Stu

p.s Thanks for all the help!!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Stu, Im sorry, but now new kits are realitively cheap, and to use used up used parts is very scarey. brakes are the only thing to stop you.
Drum brakes are real good if set up properly, and use GOOD parts. Driving 120 mph with drum brakes is scary if you have to stop all of a sudden, but regular everyday driving, there fine. If you want to spend money on brakes but not get new disk set up, spend it on your drums.

Rick

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmmmm Thanks for that link!!

After seeing this i think i am going to go with a kit!! ;) The reason why i say that is that i have been shopping around and i can get a brand new kit for $612 + tax and that junkyard swap was $750+ (Power Brakes) i know that the new one isn't power brakes but that is fine with me!! Unless you have something to tell me that will change my mind?? :p: I need an affordable brake kit and by the time i have gone to some bone yards.... i think i'd be happier just ordering it online!!

Many thanks

Stu - :D

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Hello Stu,

I put granada discs from a junkyard dog on my car. I must admit I was extremely lucky to find one that had new pads and flex lines. I just knocked the control arms off and took both complete assemblies and bolted them in. Total damage? $100. I have never had a problem with them. I did turn one of the rotors and painted everything before bolting them in. It never hurts to make a trip to the salvage yard to look around before you buy new.

Regards
Rick J

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
I should say I that the Granada swap is great for old cars if the parts are new. After pricing out all the extra things needed for the swap, and time finding the extra needed parts, its alot less work to get a kit, and its done right. I know guys that have done the Granada swap without much hassles, and they love it, but spent awhile getting the parts and all pieces for the swap and there cars were down cuz a few parts were FUBAR'd.

Rick

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll see what i can find!!

I'll have a look around in the next few days for good shape donor cars!! Hopefully just one car!! Getting these brakes is a priority i have put it off for too long!! Alhough i still have brakes..... it gets a little scary sometimes!! Well if i can't find soem in good shape soon then it will be all new. 120MPH!!! Sorry but i won't be doing that sort of speed not that i don't trust my Cat, i don't trust me!! :D the fastest i have ever gone is 130MPH with all around disc brakes and i didn't feel safe then.... and i had an airbag and ABS!! Also if a crash didn't kill me, my wife would! :p:
Once again thanks for all your help!!

Stu - Who's going Cougar crazy!!

I want MORE!!! Here Kitty Kitty, Kitty!! :D

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Hello,
I have pics of my current restoration a 67 std that I just (last month) switched from manual drums to power booster discs on the front. I used the granada booster/master cylinder combo (Bought it from Advance auto parts for $89 and it came with a re-built booster and master cylinder, the new check valve and the CORRECT push rod to hook right onto my brake pedal ALL for $89) and I used spindles from a 68 torino. I bought re-built calipers (Advance Auto $15 each) and new rotors ($90 each Advance Auto but you can get them cheaper off of e-bay) I saved a PILE of money and its easy to do and easy to find the stuff....Scott
Fell free to e-mail me with any questions

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Yeah what ITOW just said, you get the granada spindles and just get the new parts to go on it. Dont forget the prop valve from the donor car and youll need new outer tie rods but there cheap also. I just priced some Granada rotors the otherday myself for my Mustang II front suspension swap and there only $60 at autozone. Add it up and its alot cheaper than the kits and all parts are over the counter, nothing special or hard to get ahold of.

Also Tim B and I agree on the drum setup. There perfectly good as long as there in good condition. Much better than given credit for. But I do agree that the front disks is a good way to go but the rear disk conversion is way overkill most of the time. mm

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ive got some disc brakes lying around in my garage from the 70 still.. its complete but once again, who knows how long the car was sitting. it has the lower control arms, spindle, rotors and calipers anog with the rubber lines attached still. i didnt remove them.. someone tried to steal them from the parts car but i got them back anyway lol

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Since 68kitty is looking for opinions, here's what we did:

I,too, believe discs on the rear are overkill. I do have large drums back there. Up front, I was lucky enough to find a Cougar in the boneyard and took the spindles and calipers. I rebuilt the calipers and bought new rotors, bearings etc. I then went with an aftermarket power booster that we mounted in the drivers' side front fender to get it out of the way. The whole project wasn't too expensive (20 years ago) and the car will stand on it's nose!

Mark

1 - 20 of 20 Posts