Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 68 from a guy at work for the hood, it was a nice one. As part of the extra parts was a disc brake front end, a-frames and all that came with the car when he bought it. Apparently someone was going to put these on this cougar. Readily apparent to me is the lower a frames are snake-shaped so I knew they weren't 67 or 68 cougar material. Do any of you recognize what application these might be from, and if so would they have bolted on a 67 or 68? Thanks in advance....Keith

Attachments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Who cares about the control arms! You got the parts you need. All you really need are the spindles and the outer tie rod ends. With the right spindles, you have the disc brakes!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply, actually I was hoping to find out what they came off of so as if I wanted to sell them I know what they are off of, and if I was throwing the lower a-frames away I'd know what I am throwing away.....you get the idea.
As far as spindles.......you can't just bolt on any spindle if you want to maintain the way your car handles. It might be better but more likely it would be worse. Your car's front end geometry was designed with certain height spindles, and those spindles have a designated inclination with which your front roll centers are affected as well as the scrub radius of both front tires. So if I blindly bolted on any set of spindles without knowing anything about them it would be a shot in the dark on the result.
Thanks again for your reply......I was just hoping someone could take one glance and tell me what they came off of. I don't really intend to use them.........Keith

·
Registered
429 Posts
Check the part number on the spindle. You should then be able to determine from what vehicle that setup came.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Kieth, I have seen those lowers before! The bad part is for the life of me I cant remember what I have seen them on. I want to say a early T-bird??? Just a guess though as I cant remember, but if it comes back to me I'll let you know. mm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts